NPG here, looking for some confirmation....

Mar 5, 2013
North Chili, NY
... That I might actually have a clue!
New Pool Guy, been reading for a while, just want to make sure I haven't reached the "know just enough to be dangerous" stage....
Pool installed 10 days ago, CYA added shortly after, been balanced ever since. No real bather load yet (summer in Rochester runs from 7/1 till Thursday usually...) :hammer:
FC hasn't varied much at all, haven't needed to add for 3-4 days now (cloudy, solar cover on). pH has bounced from 7.2 to current 7.8 (3lbs borax yesterday per pool calc).
Taylor 2006 results today...
FC 4.0
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 120
CH 120 (ppm a non issue unless extreme with vinyl, correct?)
CYA 50 (overdid it a little....)
I keep testing, thinking I need to add chlorine, but tests usually land at 3.2-4.0. Bouncy pH has me worried, I think. I vary from "add acid" to "add borax".... Am I too focused on the specific 7.5 number?
Separate question.... Using HTH test strips also, I think I've "normalized" those results with the Taylor kit enough to use the strips more often, maybe doing a full Taylor test once a week or so. For example, FC on the strip is low until I hit 4.0 on the Taylor, than its right on. ph shows lower on strip across the spectrum, TA of 80 on the strip equates to 120 with the Taylor. Thought on this process, anyone have experience (good or bad) young this methodology. It's just plain a little easier on a daily basis!
Thanks alot... Been following along for a few months now, so thanks to all the experts out there! You got me where I am now, despite my kicking and screaming!

Welcome to tfp, Racerx_LI :wave:

Racerx_LI said:
CYA 50 (overdid it a little....)
How long ago did you add it and how? It can take up to a week for the granular cya to show up in test. 50 ppm is a nice place to be, and you should never let your FC drop below 4 ppm (per poolcalculator.com) at that cya level.

Racerx_LI said:
Am I too focused on the specific 7.5 number?
Probably...for now your pool will likely need Muriatic acid fairly often. Whenever ph gets up to 7.8, then lower it down to 7.2 using MA. This will also lower your TA a little and overtime as your TA comes down your acid usage will also decrease.

Racerx_LI said:
Separate question.... Using HTH test strips also, I think I've "normalized" those results with the Taylor kit enough to use the strips more often, maybe doing a full Taylor test once a week or so.
I would probably use the oto/ph combination test every day and the full taylor test once a week or when you are questioning something. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule TA, CH, cya do not need to be tested on a daily basis.

The strips will only confuse you when they read wrong (which they will at some point).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.