Turcotte heat pump freezing up? Help?

Jun 10, 2013
Hi!

I'm thankful to have found this site! It looks like a great place to both find and share information!

I just noticed that my Turcotte heat pump was freezing up. That never happened before. The only explanation I have (though there certainly may be many others) was that it has been working really hard lately due to unseasonably colder than usual temperatures in Montreal. Any ideas? Am I at a point where I might need to buy a new one?

The pool was still warm (79 degrees) though it was lower than the temperature that was set (82 degrees). It seems to be still working though not optimally? ...In any event, I turned it off, fearing I might fry the machine!

Thoughts?

It's normal under certain conditions to get a small amount of frost. Your heat pump should have a defrost cycle which clears up the ice. If it doesn't clear on its own soon, or if it gets worse, you may need a new defrost controller. Some heat pumps have time/temperature controllers and others have demand defrost which monitors and defrosts as necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.