Can't seem to get my pH up and my TA down....Help

May 20, 2012
Hello all,

This is my second season using the BBB method. I really thought I had it down and everything worked great last year. I opened the pool about 3 weeks ago and have been fighting low pH and high TA ever since.

Inground with liner - 15,299 gallon

Current readings:
pH - 6.8
TA - 180
FC - 5

My chlorine has been holding perfect and the water is crystal clear. According to the Pool Calc they stated to add 304 oz of Borax. I did this a couple days ago and I am still getting the same reading. I have an auto cover so no rain is getting into the pool. It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow so I am going to open the cover and point the returns up to aerate.

Any other suggestions? I know adding borax should raise the pH and not raise TA, but will that lower my TA?

Thanks for the help!

Eric

The best way to solve your problem is aeration. build a cheap fountain, toss the kids in the pool, etc. Get some frothing and churning going on. It may take a day or two but your pH will come up and your TA will go down.

Butterfly said:
Here's a link to the acid/aeration article in Pool School for lowering TA:

pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks Butterfly! I actually turned my returns straight up to break the surface and that has been running for about 5 hours. I just tested and my pH has already risen to 7.2 from 6.8. Also, my TA has dropped to 120. Going to check in a few hours again to see where it's at and then go from there. I think if I get the pH up a little more I should be good to go. FC is staying right where it needs to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.