New pool with test results- where do I begin?

May 17, 2010
JOLIET, IL
We've had our pool a couple of weeks and have shocked it and are adding bleach. I'm not sure what I should be concerned about and working on first. The water is clear.

FC - 1
pH - 8.2
TA - 250
CH - 170
CYA - Off the chart. I was able to see the black dot after emptying the whole container in.

sarahelaine said:
We've had our pool a couple of weeks and have shocked it and are adding bleach. I'm not sure what I should be concerned about and working on first. The water is clear.

FC - 1
pH - 8.2
TA - 250
CH - 170
CYA - Off the chart. I was able to see the black dot after emptying the whole container in.

Hmmmm :scratch:

"Off the chart" is actually below the chart on the test kits I'm familiar with. What tester are you using? The black dot sort of indicates I'm right...in which case, you have no CYA so any FC you add via bleach will be destroyed by sunlight in short order.

You need to lower that pH NOW with acid. http://www.poolcalculator.com/ can tell you how much you'll need.

You also want to add CYA. Target 40 and http://www.poolcalculator.com/ will tell you how much to add as well. You'll want to hang it in front of a return tied up in a sock.

Half an hour after the acid was added, recheck pH and adjust it again if necessary; you might be higher than 8.2 right now but that's as high as it reads.

Once pH is good, then add bleach to about 3. You will need to increase the target as the CYA dissolves.

All of this is explained in much greater detail in Pool School. You need to read and understand this stuff, or you're no better off than having some minimum wage kid at the pool store tell you what to dump in.

I always LOVE answering posts when people are organized enough to give test results. That's where all advice starts. :goodjob:

YOu need to adjust a couple of things right away.

1. Reduce your pH down to around 7.4 Use the poolcalculator and muriatic acid

2. Get some chlorine in your pool right away.....tonight is best. Put in one small jug of Clorox Bleach (or any brand) this evening when the sun is off the pool. Then do the same thing tomorrow night. and then one more time. three evenings in a row....1 small (96 oz) jug.

3. Your CYA is "off the chart" but it's not high, it is ZERO. Easy mistake to make. Tonight would again be best.......purchase enough CYA to get to 30 ppm (use the poolcalculator again) and put it into your pool. No need to test for it after you put it in, just assume it is in there.

4. After your 3 evening additions and your CYA addition tonight (if possible), please redo all the test and post back the results. I am expecting your pH to be down (good), your FC to be up (good), and your CYA to register 20-30 or so (good for now)

We'll go from there.

In between, spend a lot of time in Pool School. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" for starters. Ask lots of questions....we'll all help.

Thanks. I'm using the Taylor k-2006 test kit. Yes, the CYA would probably be 0. I've been reading through the pool school information. I was just unsure as to what I should focus on first. Thanks for clarifying it all! ...I guess I'm worried I'll screw it up. :)

I successfully used this method on our pool at our last house, but I've apparently forgotten everything in the past few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.