Pipe to pump leaking

mmw

Jun 10, 2013
Our pipe is leaking where it is joined to the fitting at the pump - see pic. The pump is only a few years old. There is pipe dope or what looks like pipe dope around the black fitting where there is a constant drip. Here is our question (we are somewhat new pool owners but learning a lot!). I have read that we need to disconnect the pipe from that fitting. Do we break the seal where the pipe is joined with the sealant around the pipe in order to back out the end of the pipe from the fitting? Do we then remove the pipe dope and then use Teflon tape?

Just trying to determine the correct way to remove this pipe from the fitting connected to the pump.

30,000 gallon pool
IN pool
Vinyl liner
HP Superflo Pump with 244T Hayward Sand Filter 24

Attachments

• pump fitting_image.jpg
    pump fitting_image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 48
Welcome to tfp, mmw :wave:

That fitting looks like it is at the filter and not the pump? A couple of more pictures of your pad may help us including a wider view of the piping going into your filter.

From what I can see, you may have to make a cut and repair some plumbing to fix this leak, but get us a wider picture.

Okay - luckily, a friend of ours who is a plumber was by last night and looked at it and gave us a few ideas. Here are the pics and his suggestions -would like to run it by you!

Attachments

• Pipes 1.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Pipes 2.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 11
Looks like a good plan.

You may want to add a union on the exit from the filter as well so that you will be able to take the valve off the filter in the future to inspect/clean the sand.

Thank you! When we are ready to inspect the sand, I'll come back to find out how to do that! I believe I used the wrong word and union was what he suggested too to make it easier to take it off in the future.....Thanks!

I highly recommend you add the 2nd union now while you are plumbing. They have a larger diameter, so you need to make sure the 2 are offset enough to not interfere with each other.

I second the suggestion about adding a union in the leaking pipe as well as a second union added to the pipe on the left (as it goes towards the house). It will cost you today but save you in the long run. If your plumber works for cold beverages, you may have a side project for him. With the correct tools and knowledge, this looks to be a simple project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you added the second union in the pipe after the elbow, as it flows 90 degrees to the house, the two unions won't conflict with each other. They are pretty large in diameter at their widest point.

Thank you! My husband is an engineer and also does plumbing....he just hates doing it but I have told him we will manage this pool. The suggestion of the 2 unions is exactly what the plumber recommended in order to give us more flexibility should we need to repair again ....as well as his suggestion of extending it out

techguy said:
If you added the second union in the pipe after the elbow, as it flows 90 degrees to the house, the two unions won't conflict with each other. They are pretty large in diameter at their widest point.

True, but that would remove the ability to easily tighten the fitting on the filter if it started leaking. You would have to just unscrew it completely, clean and reapply pipe dope and then screw back in to the point the unions lines up and hope it does not leak again.

True, I going to let the plumber/engineer do it and make the decision about how to fit it in. I wasn't sure there was enough extra between the elbow and the filter.

If you add it there, you could add a threaded nipple between the union and the filter if you bought the correct slip/thread configuration. This could allow you to remove it all later.

I vote for the plumber doing it and pay with cold beverages and atta-boys. All I know is I am not not available for this.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.