Variable Speed Super Pump vs High Performance 2 speed

astead

Mar 27, 2008
El Dorado Hills
I think my existing 6-7 year old Hayward super pump 2 died on me this weekend. It tries to start making a noise, and actually makes the water in the basket move around, but stops after a second or so. After 10-20 seconds it tries again. I took the wet end off the pump and tried turning it on without the wet end connected and it fired up no problem. I connected it back up to the wet end and get the same failure as before. I was all set to get a new pump as I couldn't figure out what's wrong, and figured I would sacrifice some pool down time to see what folks on here say.

I believe I need the 1.5 HP since I am using it to power a Kreepy Krauly Legend II without a booster pump, however we seem to be needing to replace our filter cartridges every couple of years, and I wonder if its because the pump is too much for the pool.

I am looking at replacing it with either the Hayward Super Variable Speed pump, or the Hayward TriStar High Performance 2 speed pump. Any recommendations or thoughts on the pumps, or things to try with the existing one?

Did you try to turn the wet end? The impeller might be jammed with debris, or the seal could be locked up on it. Both are pretty easy fixes on most pumps, my LPS rebuilt mine that I brought in for just the cost of the parts.

I thought I did. I had the pump apart at the diffuser, so the pump was still connected to the impeller. With it in this state, I was able to turn it on and it ran, sending the impeller ring flying, which I still had on the impeller. I'll take it apart again tonight and look inside the diffuser and impeller a little closer.

I just went home during lunch and took the pump apart again. The impeller does spin fine, and I tried turning the motor on again with just the impeller attached, and it does start to turn, but actually does shut off after a couple seconds. So maybe before I just shut it off too quickly. So its exhibiting the same behavior with the wet end connected and without it. I ended up just ordering a new motor, impeller ring, gasket, and sealer. Hopefully there aren't any problems when I put it all together!

That's a good question! Looks like I ordered an Emerson 1 1/2 HP C Frame Premium Energy Efficient motor (EB796). I was assuming this was a 2 speed motor since the pool supply company knew what pump I had, however when I look online it doesn't seem like it is. :( I'll have to call them back. Thanks for the heads up!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am fairly certain the EB796 is a full rate 1.5 hp, and yours is an uprated 1.5 hp ( the SP-1610-Z2-MC). Most likely the B975 (1 hp full rate) will work for your pump....but let us know the pump model if you can find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.