Help with Green/Cloudy water I cannot get cleared

Jul 10, 2007
Ohio
OK, I am new and just learning.

My pool heated up on me after opening faster than anticipated, and I let my water get green! On Friday 5/23 I brought to pool up to shock level (12-15), and watching it daily keeping it at that level till Saturday 5/31 using regular 6% Bleach. I brushed it everywhere at least every other day. It got quite a bit better, and I thought it was good. I could clearly see the bottom of the 3.5 foot and could see 6 feet or so in the 8.5 area. I let the shock come down this weekend so we could swim. It is still not terrible green, but it is definately not CLEAR water. I have friends with pools, and everyone is telling me to go to the dark side, and add algecide. Here are my numbers. Do I just need to keep at shock level and continue to be patient?

FC - 7 (still coming down from shock level)
CC- 0
TC - 7
PH - 7.2+ (getting used to reading this!)
TA - 70 (was at 60 and have slowly brought this up over the last week)
CYA - OK, for the first 4-5 days at Shock this was 0, I added Stabalizer when I first started to try to clear the water, Last test was 3 days ago and it is up in the 60-70 range now, with some CYA still disolving in a sock.

I have a SWG that has been running during this entire process. My pump has been on high for this entire process and I have backflushed 7-10 times. Thanks for your help, I will try to add a picture tonight as well.

To be really sure you killed the algae you could do an overnight chlorine consumption test. In the evening turn off the SWG (set the percentage to zero) and measure the FC level. Then measure the FC level again first thing in the morning. If it is the same evening and morning all the algae is dead and the filter is just being slow. If it goes down overnight then you haven't been at shock level long enough.

Keep in mind that it can take the filter up to a week to clear the water after the algae is all dead.

chuck1971 said:
OK, I am new and just learning.

My pool heated up on me after opening faster than anticipated, and I let my water get green! On Friday 5/23 I brought to pool up to shock level (12-15), and watching it daily keeping it at that level till Saturday 5/31 using regular 6% Bleach. I brushed it everywhere at least every other day. It got quite a bit better, and I thought it was good. I could clearly see the bottom of the 3.5 foot and could see 6 feet or so in the 8.5 area. I let the shock come down this weekend so we could swim. It is still not terrible green, but it is definately not CLEAR water. I have friends with pools, and everyone is telling me to go to the dark side, and add algecide. Here are my numbers. Do I just need to keep at shock level and continue to be patient?

FC - 7 (still coming down from shock level)
CC- 0
TC - 7
PH - 7.2+ (getting used to reading this!)
TA - 70 (was at 60 and have slowly brought this up over the last week)
CYA - OK, for the first 4-5 days at Shock this was 0, I added Stabalizer when I first started to try to clear the water, Last test was 3 days ago and it is up in the 60-70 range now, with some CYA still disolving in a sock.I have a SWG that has been running during this entire process. My pump has been on high for this entire process and I have backflushed 7-10 times. Thanks for your help, I will try to add a picture tonight as well.

If your CYA is already 60-70, I'd recommend taking out that undissolved amount in the sock...unless you want the CYA higher.

Keep the pump running 24/7, make sure you maintain enough FC to cover your CYA level.

As far as algecide, Polyquat60 is used not only for maintenance but for killing algae. It has no copper, and is non-foaming. There are folks who use this effectively as a killer.

Good luck.

OK, FC and TC remained at 15 overnight. So, if I understand correctly, that means my algae is dead, just needs filtered out, correct? Should I keep it at shock level for a few days to be sure, or go ahead and let it come back down to normal levels at this point? Sorry, did not get a picture as it was dark last night and it is overcast and rainy this morning.

--Chuck

Hi, Chuck,

The process is complete when:
A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

Do you meet those criteria? If so, let your FC drift down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.