Types or SWG's and user opinions (perhaps a sticky here?)

smid87

Jun 2, 2013
I am new to the world of Salt Water Generators (SWG). What I know so far is what I have read from the different manufacturers and learned from your pool school. At this point, I like many others would like to see (in one place, perhaps this thread) what other users are experiencing with their SWG's. It would be cool if there were a rating system too. This way those of us who use them can let those of us who do not know what is best based on personal experience.

I for one am waiting on a SolarChlor Max (up to 25k gals). I am excited to try this as it requires no electricity from the power grid and guarantees it will work on cloudy days too. It has a boost feature where you can add salt to boost the chlorine output. I also like that it works independent of the pump. I have had pools in the past and kept them crystal clear with the 6 way kit from Wal-Mart and chlorine. My GF and I like the way the salt water feels and the taste is tolerable so we decided to give it a go. Here is the link to their website (easy to find): http://solarchlor.com/index.htm . You need to look under the new products tab for now as last I checked that was where the solarchlor max was.

We first bought a chlorease from Namco. I would not recommend this unit as it has a flimsy attachment arrangement and too many external pieces. The CL02 seems a better option as it does away with one of the clunky pieces, but still uses the same housing with the flimsy mounting system (I broke mine way too easily). In particular, they use plastic with metal screws and the plastic is not a solid piece, but rather a honeycomb type of structure (lack of better explanation). Look at one and you will know what I mean. We returned ours for a full refund (thanks Namco for good customer service). They lack an easy to find website so here is a link to the thread here about them: chlorease-t530.html.

Re: Types or SWG's and user opinions (perhaps a sticky here?

smid87 said:
I for one am waiting on a SolarChlor Max (up to 25k gals).
That looks like a "metal ion" system and I would avoid it. Ion systems add metals to your water which can stain (and in the case of copper, turn blond hair green).

Now if you can unplug the metal ion part of the system, then it might be better...but it sure doesn't look like a robust/reliable method of chlorinating a pool.

As you may know, the chlorease is a very basic unit and has not had good reports on here (calcium scaling).

linen said:
smid87 said:
As you may know, the chlorease is a very basic unit and has not had good reports on here (calcium scaling).

You can add me to the list of disappointed consumers. Mine broke when trying to install it!!! The bracket that is used to hold it to the pool is cheap flimsy plastic with metal screws. This is a disaster waiting to happen and for me it did. Fortunately, we got our money back. I am willing to try this SolarChlor max as I really really like that it does not use any electricity and works without the pump. I will post my results and thoughts when I have had some time to use it. I will look into the Ion disabling idea too.

Here is what SolarChlor says about their drop in unit: "SolarChlor produces Chlorine all day long and charged mineral ions 24/7. The patented mineral anode and process replaces those high dollar Nature 2 and Frog systems saving you hundreds of dollars in mineral cartridges and algaecides alone." What concerns me is the Mineral Ions... What are they? and there is an included Anode so does that mean I do not need to use it? I will ask them and see what I find out. Also, I see that the minerals are produced 24/7 so that means it does not require power so perhaps it is easily removed? :-D

As I said above, the "mineral ions" are metals being added unnecessarily to the pool. By the way the frog and nature2 for pools are also not recommended.

I have asked them about the mineral ion portion of the unit I have purchased. I am waiting on their reply, but from what I have read it appears that the mineral anode is passive and may be easily removed. From what I know about hydrogen, it may be that they pass the hydrogen across the mineral anode and that pulls the minerals into the water so if the anode is deleted there will be no ability to produce minerals. One section does mention copper 0-1ppm, Nitrates 0-3ppm, and Phosphates 0-300ppm. Perhaps this is what they are introducing into the water through the ionization across the mineral anode? I am waiting for a more technical description than their technical link gives. :?

Even it you can remove the metal ion part (sounds like copper) imo you still do not have a very reliable swg. Typically you dial a swg in to run for the right amount of time, I do not think you have that option with the solar power, since I am assuming it will run only when it has sun. And I just noticed it is $500 :shock: You may want to consider the intex at $129 which has a track record. Just my two cents :blah:

And here is their answer to lack of sun:
Q: What happens when it rains or if there is a bad week of weather?

A: As with any chlorination device, it is recommended that you shock your pool on a regular basis, after a rain or bad weather. You can also fill the bottom bowl assembly with salt to give your pool an added boost.

And this is disconcerting:
Q: What is the Warranty?

A: SolarChlor comes with a 3 yr. limited warranty.

Q. How long do the cell plates last?

A: The cell plates never have to be replaced and will last as long as the unit will.
Not a long life, and you must replace the whole device.

Here is their advice. We did not pay near that much!! I would have considered the Hayward swim and C3(?) for that kind of money. Yes it will only produce in daylight hours. It does so whether it is shady, or bright and it has three levels and an off switch. I am pretty sure we will not rely solely on this unit, but it will drastically reduce our chemical usage. I am pretty sure no one can say they rely solely on their SWG. I will post my results on this site and theirs. If I do not like the unit, they will know about it. I might even modify it later on to include a battery to it can operate at night!!! I really love that it uses the very thing that destroys chlorine against itself!!!

Dear Sir,

You are correct on the option of using the copper anode or not. You would have to add the anode to the drawer if you would prefer the advantage of the copper ion in the pool water. The output of the mineral anode is in the parts per billion and is effective in stopping the mutation of algae spores, The use of a non-metallic algaecide would be suggested if the metals are a concern.

We appreciate your questions and thank you for the purchase of or energy and chemical saving device.

Best Regards,
Rick

Glad you did not pay so much for it...we will be interested in your feedback on how it works. I am also glad the copper is an option you do not have to have.

smid87 said:
I am pretty sure no one can say they rely solely on their SWG.
Many of us on here do, I being on of them.

smid87 said:
The output of the mineral anode is in the parts per billion and is effective in stopping the mutation of algae spores
I would be interested in hearing others chime in on this...this sounds like pseudoscience...but I am not sure, and it would take more searching than I have done as of now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Having watched every single episode of "Walking Dead", I have concentrated all my firepower up our long driveway.

Now, I may have to re-position some of the big guns towards the pool....just in case. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

smid87 said:

I would love to rely solely on the SWG and if I can I will, but from what I have read, they all suggest shocking. I have not read everything so take that for what it is worth.

smid87 said:
The output of the mineral anode is in the parts per billion and is effective in stopping the mutation of algae spores
I would be interested in hearing others chime in on this...this sounds like pseudoscience...but I am not sure, and it would take more searching than I have done as of now.

It is true that copper and silver combat algae, but to what extent I am not sure (I am not a scientist). I have read many places that copper causes (fake) blond hair to turn green so that is not an option for us :cool: .

duraleigh said:
Having watched every single episode of "Walking Dead", I have concentrated all my firepower up our long driveway.

Now, I may have to re-position some of the big guns towards the pool....just in case. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have watched them too and right from the very beginning!!! I hate waiting a week though. Another great show I have been watching (no zombies) is Revolution. :cool: :goodjob:

smid87 said:
smid87 said:

I would love to rely solely on the SWG and if I can I will, but from what I have read, they all suggest shocking. I have not read everything so take that for what it is worth.
If you follow the methods taught on this board, you should not need shocking...swg or not. That is one of the perks to tfp, what is taught is

smid87 said:
smid87 said:

It is true that copper and silver combat algae, but to what extent I am not sure (I am not a scientist). I have read many places that copper causes (fake) blond hair to turn green so that is not an option for us :cool: .
I take no issue with copper having an algaestatic properties (although again not needed with proper chlorination), what I am questioning is the mutation comment.

Linen I see your point. It almost sounds like they are referring to inhibiting growth (algae bloom), but not calling it correctly. However, like you said with proper chlorination one should not need to shock. I am still re-reading the pool school. I would prefer not to have to work at having a pool. Maintaining something is much easier than fixing things that go wrong from poor maintenance. That goes for pretty much anything though.

I love my Hayward SWG. I haven't shocked in 3 yrs. I was relying on the Pool Store and they had me adding so much junk my water was a mess. Took two seasons to get the CH and CYA levels down and now my water is perfectly balanced thanks to the advice on here. I can't believe how much time and money I spent on chemicals and how I was always fighting with algae, TA, low PH, High ph, etc. etc. Once I followed the advice given on here in Pool School and Salt Water Generator sections I now have sparkling water and never use anything. Haven't even had to add MA since beginning of last summer. I love it. SWG is the way to go.

Good news about the solar chlor!!! :whoot:

Dear Sir,

There is NO mineral anode to be removed. These were removed a few years back but the site was not updated to reflect the change.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Rick mercer
MEI

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.