Capacitor Issues?

Jun 10, 2013
My Capacitor is bad. Tested and shows no power. The Pump however only will run with it disconnected. Bought Replacement Capacitor at a pool supply store. Did not fix the issue. Could it be a wiring issue inside the motor? Anyone heard of this issue? The motor gets very hot when only running for a few seconds. Motor: Century Centurion 2hp.

Thanks Shack22

Welcome to the forum!

The problem may not be the capacitor. If the pump runs and then shuts off, it is probably bad bearings. This can also prevent it from starting. When you spin the impeller by hand, does it continue to spin when you let go or does it stop immediately.

Also, exactly how did you test the capacitor?

The Capacitor was tested by my Neighbor who is an AC Repairman. Works with Capacitors on a daily basis. So I trust the source. What I am struggling with is why the Motor would run without a capacitor. Yet not run with a new capacitor hooked up? I have not let the motor run long though so the bearings may be the culprit. I will check the Movement of the propeller tonight.

Thanks! Shack22

Quick Update. Checked the Bearings. Spins pretty free. Ran the Motor for 20-30 seconds. White Smoke filled the air. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. Would have loved to save money but it looks like a new Motor is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.