DE Leaking into Pool

Jun 4, 2012
Hi - I have a Hayward 4820 DE filter. On the bottom of my pool floor there is a sand-looking substance clumping in a bunch of areas. I believe this is the DE coming back into the pool from my filter. I thoroughly checked the filter for tears and didn't see anything. I added the 6lbs of DE per the instructions on the DE bag so I don't think I'm adding too much (I poured it in very slowly).

Anyone have an idea of what is going wrong? Really appreciate the help!

Thank you,
Brian

Hi, I haven't tried the stocking as of yet but I did notice (after the pump was off for the entire night) in the morning that the skimmer basket area was cloudy so it looks like the DE might be coming into the pool when the pump is off. What can that possibly mean?

I will put the stocking on tonight to check. Thanks!

I would think there is a check valve between the filter and the pump/impeller. IT seems like DE would need to flow a long way from the filter, thru the pump down the suction line and into the skimmer body unless you have a pretty serious back flow going on.

What model number is your Hayward DE? grids or tubes/fingers?

Hey - the filter is the 4820 but I'm not sure the model number of the grids/fingers. I probably wont have time to open it up until the weekend to check the model number of the grids/fingers but once I do I'll post it.

Thanks again
Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.