Where to buy salt

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Pool water being deliver on Wednesday..not 100% ready yet and getting nervous since we have never owned a pool before...yikes!!

I have seen people say they buy the Morton solar crystal salt vs the expensive pool salt. Where can you buy the Morton's solar salt? Lowes, Home Depot, Sam's club....???

Thx.

nupoolsoon said:
I have seen people say they buy the Morton solar crystal salt vs the expensive pool salt. Where can you buy the Morton's solar salt? Lowes, Home Depot, Sam's club....???

Thx.

Any of those are good sources. Even Walmart. You want the solar salt, which will say 99.5 percent. No additives. It is in a blue bag like this
0002460003983_LG.jpg

nupoolsoon said:
Pool water being deliver on Wednesday..not 100% ready yet and getting nervous since we have never owned a pool before...yikes!!

Thx.

They're all generally ~$4.50-5.00/40# bag at any of the big box stores. You want the solar salt with nothing else in it. With gas prices what they are it doesn't pay to run around to too many places. Make sure you get a reading before adding the salt. The delivered water may have some salinity to it already.

"pool store is the best place for this. water softener salt is not appropriate for the pool."

I think you'll find MANY who would not agree with this statement.
Salt is salt. It's a matter of what else is added into it. Rust preventative type additives are not desirable.
99% minimum purity Sodium Chloride is recommended, whether it comes from water softener, solar salt, brine blocks, pool salt, food grade salt, table salt, kosher salt, and water conditioner salt are all acceptable.

Just get it dissolved quickly.

Granular salts with the anticaking additive, Yellow Prussiate of Soda (YPS), contains iron, that if left undissolved and sitting on your plaster finish, has the potential to cause iron staining on the plaster.

isoldmyexonebay said:
pool store is the best place for this. water softener salt is not appropriate for the pool.

I for one disagree and I work in a pool store. Also, if you read the manuals for just about ANY SWG the manufactuers recommend solar or water softener salt! As an inside tip, one of our salt suppliers informed us that the 'pool salt" they sell is the same salt as the solar salt but it just goes through an extra grinding step. Please don't make blanket statements like that when you have nothing to back them up with.

Thanks for the replies. I went to sleep last night thinking I would have to find actual pool salt, but I will definitely being headed to Home Depot to p/u my Morton's now. I also read a post here on TFP that someone had suggested cutting off the top of the bag and setting the entire bag in the pool to dissolve.

Speaking of salt, that is the one thing I forgot to buy with my TF100 test kit, salt strips....ooppss. I guess I was thinking since I have the Autopilot digital, it would tell me the ppm, but that isn't happening when you first start out now and each season. Will pick some of them up too.

Thx again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nupoolsoon said:
I also read a post here on TFP that someone had suggested cutting off the top of the bag and setting the entire bag in the pool to dissolve.

Don't do it, you will probably wait the whole season for it to dissolve. Better pour it around the walls and then scrub with a brush to help it dissolve quicker.

I've been using the coarse solar salt from Home Depot and Orchard Supply and it's just fine. I made the mistake of pouring a pile of it into the shallow end, though, and got some yellowish stains that took a long time to disappear. Now that my water is warm, though, I poured a bag in around the edges and swept it toward the drain (pump was drawing from the drain for this) and it was all dissolved within about 15-20 minutes.

I have an above ground pool without a bottom brain. I used the blue solar salt from lowes and dumped a bag around the edges. Brushed as I walked around the pool with the filter running. Came back in 15 minutes brushed again. After 30 minutes it was dissolved so I added the next 40 lbs. I would do a couple bags a night while I was working on other projects, brushing when i had a chance. I have had no issues with the solar salt and it dissolved in about 30 minutes, cant see paying $10 a bag at the pool store when I can get the same NaCL at lowes for $4.50.

SeanB said:
Maybe they do a better job of storing it properly at your Home Depot. I'd gladly buy it at my local HD as it's closer than the pool store, but I don't like throwing salt rocks in my pool. :lol:

I did have some clumps in one bag I got, but I was able to crumble it up pretty easily before I poured it into the pool.

GZelano said:
What about rock salt? i have tons left over from the winter and it looks the same. I also don't see any additives. Is it O.K. to use ?
No, rock salt is not as pure as solar or water softener pellets or pool salt. Most SWG manufacturers say NOT to use rock salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.