summer escapes skimmer not catching a lot of surface stuff?

Jun 4, 2013
B.A. Okla.
I have an 18' summer escapes pool that has the skimmer built in to the side and the 1500gph pump. I recently converted over to an intex sand filter/pump and it doesn't seem to skim the surface as well this year as it used to.

The intex pump seems slightly more powerful than the old pump, I think this leads to the skimmer door being pushed wider open by moving water and a lot more water coming in from lower than the surface and this = the surface water moving slower?

If I prop open the skimmer door with a stick about 1/2" higher than it leans down normally it really speeds up the movement of the surface water and catches stuff from farther out. This can only be done with no people in pool.

Would gluing some extra styrofoam to the back of the skimmer door make it not lean down so much?

Re: summer escapes skimmer not catching a lot of surface stu

I wouldn't prop the skimmer since that is something you would have to keep a close eye on as adjust as the pool level dropped. Adding a bit more styrofoam on the back might work...at least it would be worth a try, though I wouldn't glue it permanently until you know it works.

Re: summer escapes skimmer not catching a lot of surface stu

I got some foam about twice as thick as the foam that was in the skimmer and cut it to size than trimmed it thinner in the places that go under the lip on the skimmer door. When my water level is high I put in the thicker foam, taking out the thinner one, it holds the door higher and improves skimming action.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.