CLOUDY

joeg

Jun 10, 2013
Hello everyone,

First just want to say hi and thank you in advance.
Just open the pool last week. Started the shock process now on day 8 and the pool is still cloudy.
here are my stats from this morning:
PH - 7.2
FC - 29.5
CC - 1
TA -110
CH - 240
CYA - 65

I've been out everyday scrubbing, back washing every other day.
Still some debris on the bottom and doing my best to vacuum it out but its hard to see as its cloudy. I think i am on the right track but last year by day 6 the water was clear.

Please help.

Thank you

Ping -

Thank you and i will give that a shot.
- Read this thread, my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html.

If you have time to watch the filter, you can add some DE to it, pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter. I read this and to be clear DE is safe to mix into the pool?

If you have time to watch the filter, you can add some DE to it, pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter.

ping said:
Read this thread, my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html.

If you have time to watch the filter, you can add some DE to it, pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter.

I used the de added to my sand filter and in 2 short days my water from from cloudy to clear. What an awesome feeling to see that. I too had to backwashed daily to get the pool cleaned out and thanks to BBB and Pool school and help from my friends here I have a clear and clean pool. Now if the rain would stop I might be able to get in the pool without turning blue from the cold weather we are having. Go figure during the opening and cleaning 2 week process it was so hot I almost jumped in anyway, but waited. Now cold and rainy until Wed and the low temps. Getting my thermals out to go swimming on Thursday. :party:

connie said:
ping said:
Read this thread, my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html.

I used the de added to my sand filter and in 2 short days my water from from cloudy to clear. What an awesome feeling to see that. I too had to backwashed daily to get the pool cleaned out and thanks to BBB and Pool school and help from my friends here I have a clear and clean pool. Now if the rain would stop I might be able to get in the pool without turning blue from the cold weather we are having. Go figure during the opening and cleaning 2 week process it was so hot I almost jumped in anyway, but waited. Now cold and rainy until Wed and the low temps. Getting my thermals out to go swimming on Thursday. :party:

Thank you once again and do you know where i can pick some of this DE up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
joeg said:
Sorry does any one know where i can get Diatomaceous Earth in oakville/ Burlington area Ontario Canada??
Any pool store will have it. But it comes in jumbo sized boxes, a lifetime supply. Ask your neighbors. If someone has a DE filter, they'll have a bag. Ask for a coffeecan full.

Also check the big box and chain hardware stores that have a pool section. It might be called something like "Filter Aid". There's also the cellulose substitutes like fiberclear and seofiber. They'll work, too.

Pick up the phone and make a few calls.

joeg said:
I grab some filter cleaner from our local pool store.

thanks again everyone and I let you know how it goes.
Careful! They might sell you some overpriced stuff to clean DE filter grids.

Ask for Diatomaceous Earth. Odds are it will be a pretty good-sized bag or box. If it's in a small plastic canister, that's not what you want.

If I read it correctly, you have leaf debris on your pool floor and your CYA is 90. It sounds like this a great opportunity to get out your pool vacuum (and long pole) and vacuum straight to waste.

You will get rid of the debris (saving time and money on CL) and you will lower your CYA levels (after re-filling) which will lower your CL shock level and save you money).

This is assuming your fill water is clean and cost effective.

So I grab some DE last night and followed the instructions. Pressure went from 16psi to 17 and I kept an eye on it until I went to bed. Woke up this morning and gauge is reading 30 psi.

I am still learning but not quite sure how DE works or what to do next. I panicked and backed washed .... Pressure now sitting at 18 when i left for work.

from what I understand when the pressure goes up there is a blockage somewhere and I assume its from using DE?

any thoughts.

Please and thank you

I think you did ok with the DE, 1 lb rise in pressure. The spike to 30 was probably because the DE trapped some of the cloudy material in the water.

Did you add another bit of DE after you backwashed? When you backwashed, you purged the DE and crud it filtered out from your sand. If you pool is still cloudy, you would need to replace the DE so it can gram more gunk.

Charlie_R said:
I think you did ok with the DE, 1 lb rise in pressure. The spike to 30 was probably because the DE trapped some of the cloudy material in the water.

Did you add another bit of DE after you backwashed? When you backwashed, you purged the DE and crud it filtered out from your sand. If you pool is still cloudy, you would need to replace the DE so it can gram more gunk.

No I didn't but I certainly will when I get home. So just keep doing what I'm doing until the water is clear. Backwash and add DE.

thank you very much

You should monitor the PSI when adding DE and trying to clear the pool.

From Pool School article - adding DE to a sand filter:
The very first time you do this, you should keep an eye on the filter pressure for the next 24 hours or so. The improved filtering may quickly catch a lot of very fine particles and send the filter pressure up rapidly.

Also, you should backwash when the psi increases 20 to 25% above the clean psi reading.

Butterfly said:
You should monitor the PSI when adding DE and trying to clear the pool.

From Pool School article - adding DE to a sand filter:
The very first time you do this, you should keep an eye on the filter pressure for the next 24 hours or so. The improved filtering may quickly catch a lot of very fine particles and send the filter pressure up rapidly.

Also, you should backwash when the psi increases 20 to 25% above the clean psi reading.

I remembering reading keep and eye on the filter pressure but totally forgot about the second parts. :)

thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.