HELP! Method for swimming pool bottom (concrete)

Hi There
Last year we finished our custom swimming pool, below is a pic after I opened it from it being covered for the winter; our cleaning lady is .. well cleaning.

Anyways,

A ton of mosaic tiles came off on the bottom, because cracks started showing up. I contacted the builder, and they agreed to redo the whole bottom layer of the pool that has the mosaic tiles because this is not supposed to happen. They say because of how concrete shifts when it dries/warms.

My question to pool builders/other concrete pool owners is how should they pour the concrete/prep the area so this won't happen, because on my walls/stairs/bar chairs, etc no a single tile comes off those are perfect even if i go at it with the high pressure washer at full speed.

PS: So you know, I live in Serbia, a 3rd world country - here knowledge is scarce, and I am asking because I rather tell them how to do it properly, than have to have them redo it every single year.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyflcjcra2fhw ... .24.58.jpg

That the pool floor has cracked is indicative of shifting/settling substrate. Hate to say, but my guess is the new tiles will also pop loose as the pool floor continues to shift.

That said, it may be settled in enough that you will have no future problems but I am not confidant in that.

I can think of no possible cure other than to remove the old pool floor and install new concrete, properly prepared.

duraleigh said:
That the pool floor has cracked is indicative of shifting/settling substrate. Hate to say, but my guess is the new tiles will also pop loose as the pool floor continues to shift.

That said, it may be settled in enough that you will have no future problems but I am not confidant in that.

I can think of no possible cure other than to remove the old pool floor and install new concrete, properly prepared.

The pool floor is 1 meter thick plus some more

its compromised of well beaten soil, on it are some rocks, then there's the waterproof concrete layer and on top of that a 20cm (8-10 inch) concrete render (i think thats what its called)

i know when they built the pool they didn't wait, they finished that render and next day they started puttingn on the tiles.

so if they remove the render now, and redo it, what would be the way to go so i dont have this issue?

Regardless of how thick the concrete, a crack is a crack and indicates movement of the substrate underneath. Is the 1 meter concrete cracked or is it something else?

Most all cracks continue to move and tile (or any other masonry product) cannot be successfully placed on a surface where there is movement.

I don't know what a render is

duraleigh said:
Regardless of how thick the concrete, a crack is a crack and indicates movement of the substrate underneath. Is the 1 meter concrete cracked or is it something else?

Most all cracks continue to move and tile (or any other masonry product) cannot be successfully placed on a surface where there is movement.

I don't know what a render is

the bottom is one slab, on it, is another concrete slab which has the tiles on it

the bottom one isn't cracked then water would escape from the pool

Don't think I can help further. If the bottom pour didn't crack, I don't understand what would cause the top one to crack. Perhaps your PB does and he will be able to fix it. I have no idea.

duraleigh said:
Don't think I can help further. If the bottom pour didn't crack, I don't understand what would cause the top one to crack. Perhaps your PB does and he will be able to fix it. I have no idea.

thanks for the help anyhow, they say they need to leave some kinda space around the edges for the bottom layer, so it can shift, and thus not crack - because cracks are produced when the concrete has no place to expand to

i googled and googled and read that they leave space around the edges, and they fill that space with some kinda rubbery silicone so it can move.. but i mean, i still want to hear expert opinions thats why i posted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.