Pool Depth conversion, remodel for Shallower deep end

May 27, 2007
I am looking for any engineering information (or companies I can pay for the details) on what it would take to make the 8 ft deep end of my 1978 era gunite/plaster pool shallower. I think 6 feet would be a good depth. The area is about 10ft by 12ft that would need to be "raised" by about 2 feet. I found a picture of a pool that was undergoing a similar conversion that showed rebar being installed over the old deep end shell. I will probably subcontract the work, but I would like to know what I should expect. What type concrete is used? How much rebar (9" grid etc.)? Is the entire 2' filled with concrete or can I compact some kind of stone fill in the area and then just pour in a layer of concrete on top of that, if so how many inches thick? How do you bond the new bottom with the old bottom? What about the main drain? Do you drill holes for the rebar into the old shell?

I am currently almost finished removing all of the old plaster. The plaster had been painted a couple of times after it started to thin with age.

I am located in Daphne, Alabama.

That project is not for the faint-hearted. You need to get a quote (if they'll do the work) from a very experienced gunite pool builder. The issue will primarily be the bond between the old gunite and the new. expansion and contraction will be a major issue where they (hopefully) join together. If a pool guy tells you he can do that easily, I'd check his credentials and make sure you are comfortable with his knowledge and quality of work.

Anything can be done for a price. I would expect that project to be very pricey. Please post back with any info you get from a PB.....it's a very interesting project.

If the PB's turn you down, I have some knowledge of a submersible vinyl liner which will do that job successfully. It's still not a cakewalk but doable if you can't get it done with a plaster finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.