Need advice on pump replacement please.

Jun 9, 2013
New member here. I'm very impressed with this forum! :goodjob:

We have an inground gunite pool and our old Pentair Challenger 3/4HP pump bit the dust! I was searching the web for a replacement and found a great deal on a Hayward Power Flo 2 Pump 3/4 HP 115V SP1775. Here's my question...our Pentair was 115/220 volt and was wired in at 220. Can we replace it with the Hayward and just use the 115V plug or do we have to go back with a 220V?

Thanks in advance for your help! :wink:

Welcome to tfp, dazedandconfused :wave:

That powerflo 2 is really an above ground pool pump, I would suggest you stick with an inground pump.

If you could post some details of your pool and equipment (put them in your signature too) such as volume, water features, filter type/model/size, etc. we can help select an appropriate pump.

I don't know the water volume, I will be calculating that today. My pool is a kidney shaped in-ground gunite, 3 ft. shallow end and 9 ft. deep end. One skimmer, 3 jets and 2 bottom drains, which are closed as far as we can tell. (Any idea why there are 2 drains?) The filter is a Pentair Nautilus stainless steel D.E., model number NSS48. All plumbing is 1 1/2" pvc. We don't have any additional water features.

We had just installed the Nautilus filter, replacing an American Commander 2 cartridge system. When we turned on the pump after the installation I was shocked at the amount of pressure! The jets were almost shooting water out of the pool! (With the cartridge filter I almost had to walk to the edge of the pool to see the water coming from the jets.) I had to raise the vacuum by adjusting the wheels because the suction was so great that it was sucking the vacuum against the bottom of the pool and collapsing the hose!

The pump is very old and had started making noise. Somebody told my DH (dear hubby) to change the o-ring. When he started taking it apart he concluded that is was toast! It was extremely rusted and parts started breaking off, wires started breaking, etc.

So, back to my original post...I've been told that it doesn't matter if we use 115v or 230v. If our old 3/4 hp pump worked great with our filter why can't we replace it with another 3/4 hp?

If we had lots of extra $$ it wouldn't be a problem, however we just completed a home renovation and used up all of our "play money". We need our pump operating ASAP, as we are in Texas, the daytime temps will be in the upper 90's from now until October and the pool is in full sun! In the meantime DH lower a pump into the pool and I turn it on for 30 minutes or so every few hours to circulate the water.

I will be anxiously awaiting a reply... :roll:

dazedandconfused said:
If our old 3/4 hp pump worked great with our filter why can't we replace it with another 3/4 hp?
You can, and probably should but 3/4 hp does not specify the pump. For example the 3/4 hp challenger is a significantly larger pump (moves more water) then the 3/4 hp powerflo2. In addition, the challenger is meant to draw water from below (typical igp), and the powerflo is not...and I am fairly certain it is not self priming when it is above water level.

Please post the model number of the challenger pump (and not just the model number of the motor) and we can help you select a good pump.

Also, are you saying the pump portion is in bad shape or just the motor portion? One option here that will be cheaper is to just replace the motor.

Good morning, linen...and thanks so much for your prompt response! :goodjob:

I am attaching pics of the pump and motor labels.

We are using the Pentair filter now...not the old Commander.

I told DH that just the motor could be replaced, but he was concerned about all the fittings lining up with the pump, etc. (I also believe he canned that idea because he wants the pool up and everything running yesterday!) He is very mechanical minded and can figure out just about anything. Is it a pretty straightforward process to hook up a new motor to the existing pump? Would we have to buy a lot of additional parts to make everything "line up"?

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

I am struggling coming up with a 2-speed motor suggestion for you pump. The problem I am having is that your pump is fairly small (that is a good thing)...and I have not found a 3/4 uprated 2-speed to replace your motor yet. I have sent forum member mas985 (one of our special contributors) a private message to have him take a look at this and see if he has ideas.

Do you know if you have 115 or 230 volt feed to the pump?

To answer you question on ease of replacement...if you husband is handy, he should be fine doing it.

If a suitable motor can be identified, it is MUCH easier to replace just the motor than to have to replace the entire pump as that is when you have to worry about the plumbing lining up.

It is just a few bolts to pull the motor off, then unscrew the impeller, put it on the new motor and put the bolts back in. You would also need a new seal kit (~$30).

We will need to know if your current pump is wired for 115V or 230V to come up with a motor recommendation to make the swap easier.

dazedandconfused said:
The old motor was wired in, but DH said he could run an electrical outlet down next to the motor if we go with a 115v.
[s:3iocpxly]Was the old motor wired in as 230 or 115 volts?[/s:3iocpxly][linen edit: sorry I missed that you already specified 220 in your first post :oops: ]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Replacing your motor would work, but so will that 3/4 HP Powerflo 2. When you read Hayward's literature - sure -it's designed as an above ground pump, but it is also self-priming and will handle small inground pools as well.

BTW - I have one of those PowerFlo 2's (salvaged from a bathroom renovation), and I used it for about 2 weeks as a pool pump inbetween 1.5 HP inground pumps. Worked fine. I'm keeping it around in case I need it again.

The PowerFlo LX, however , is NOT suitable as an inground pool pump, because it is NOT selfpriming.

Good point scooper!

I was thinking of the powerflow and not the II. It looks like it can prime up to 8 ft...which would be good for most pools. The curve on the pfII is not quite as good at high head, but other than that it looks like it would work.

What was the price on the powerflo II?

By the way I was assuming the challenger 3/4 full rated when I said:
linen said:
For example the 3/4 hp challenger is a significantly larger pump (moves more water) then the 3/4 hp powerflo2

Okay, DH tried to get the pump off the motor but even with an impact drill he couldn't get the bolts loose. He said if he tried anything else he would probably just end up breaking the bolts, so he wants a new pump and motor. :roll:

He also decided he wants to wire it in, so here are 2 choices I'm looking at:

Hayward 3/4 HP Max-Flo SP2805X7 and PENTAIR SUPERFLO 1 HP 340038 SF-N1-1A

So what are your thoughts on these? (We can buy a better one later, and save whichever we buy now as a back-up.)

The pentair superflo 340038 (and the 2-speed variety 340042) have higher flow at lower head then you current pump...meaning it is likely your flow rate will be higher. With that said, the 2-speed 340042 (~$420 for the 2-speed about $100 more than the single speed) would be a good choice since most of the time you will run it on low and save some electricity.

That hayward maxflo should work...but again, I would spend the small differential and upgrade to the pentair 2-speed.

If you want to stick with a 1 speed and go cheap...you could go with powerflo II as you previously mentioned...what price could you get it for?

What is your cost of electricity?

Some numbers ....
Initial cost:
Superflo 1HP 1-speed $277
Superflo 1HP 2-speed $420 ($143 more)

Assuming your power costs $0.10/kwh:
Superflo 1HP (same as the 2-speed on high), 6 hours per day costs $26 / month in electricity
Superflo 1HP 2-speed on low for 12 hours per day costs $12 / month in electricity
Save $14 / month ... break even after 10 months

Assuming your power costs $0.20/kwh:
Superflo 1HP (same as the 2-speed on high), 6 hours per day costs $53 / month in electricity
Superflo 1HP 2-speed on low for 12 hours per day costs $24 / month in electricity
Save $29 / month ... break even after 5 months

Note that low speed moves 1/2 the water for ~1/4 the electricity. Thus to move the same amount of water, the run time of the low speed is doubled.

mas985 said:
dazedandconfused said:
Pentair was 115/220 volt and was wired in at 220.
I would go with the Century B2980. Same frame, same voltage, same bolt pattern so hookup will be easiest. It is slightly over sized for the pump but that is ok. It is a higher efficiency E-Plus two speed and at a pretty good price here:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Century- ... /B2980.htm

You will also need a Gokit:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/PoolSupp ... CK1046.htm

I did this switch with the same line motor and pump in the 2hp varietal a couple of weeks ago and have been very very pleased with the result. Without wiring changes this is probably a 1 hour job.

dazedandconfused said:
Okay, DH tried to get the pump off the motor but even with an impact drill he couldn't get the bolts loose. He said if he tried anything else he would probably just end up breaking the bolts, so he wants a new pump and motor. :roll:

Just saw this ... BUMMER!

Hayward and Pentair are both good names for most pool equipment. I'd buy either brand of them.

About the Powerflo2 - My cost was free (add about $60 for the strainer assembly).
I'm not saying the PF2 would be my first choice for an inground pump, but it is capable up to about 20-25,000 gallons, I would think.

On otherwise identical plumbing - The PF2 generated about 10 PSI, while my 1.5 HP Superflo EE does about 17 PSI, for about the same power use.

The Pentair Dynamo looks to be a very close relative of the PF2, so you can throw that one into the mix as well, And you can get the Dynamo as a 2 speed (one of the few 120V 2 speed pumps on the market).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.