Leaks at the Pump/Filter Fittings

Jun 2, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Guys, any feedback on how to stop leaks for flexible hose ? I just replace the hose to the pump and the return back to the pool from the filter. There were cheaper black hoses there and one was cracked so I "upgraded" to a much thicker-walled white hose. But now no matter how tight I get the hose clamps, it wants to leak -- probably a drip a second from one and faster from another location.

Are there certain fittings that should be used ? Or do I simply need to apply some kind of silicone to the fitting before I put the hose in place and then clamp it down ?

To be clear -- the leaks are not between the filter and fitting -- I used teflon tape there and those connections seem good.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have. Bought a house a couple of months ago and inherited a green-swamp of an above ground pool. I've changed the sand in the filter and want to get these leaks stopped so I can get the pool filled to proper levels and get to work cleaning it up.

Many thanks,
Steve

Its an AG pool, so you are referring to the ends where the hoses connect to the return jet (in the wall) and the skimmer inlet?

As long as you have the right diameter hose, it shouldnt be hard to get them sealed. Might try double clamps, or (even better, and probably more important) BETTER quality clamps. When I replaced a return line in my IG pool, I went to a boat supply store and they had some REALLY good worm drive clamps. Look for ones that have a really small gap between "slots", they allow you to get a LOT tighter than the HD/pool store generic clamps. A little expensive for a clamp (5 bux a piece or so), but well worth it when you never have to touch them again.

-Chris

Hi, Steve,

I'm surprised too that no one has chimed in but perhaps your "bump" will do it.

I have never worked with flexible hose so I am no help. It may help a little if you can identify the hose a little more specifically....is it schedule 40 flex?

Welcome....Good help to follow...I hope

No rush on the answers. I just had high hopes. Looks like a great forum. It was recommended by some guys on BT3Central, a wood-working forum. But I'm asking for free advice so I can't complain ! haha

The hoses are flexible PVC, yes. The hose itself says "triflex" I believe.

Somehow I'm not seating them properly.

Thanks,
Steve

chrisexv6 said:
Its an AG pool, so you are referring to the ends where the hoses connect to the return jet (in the wall) and the skimmer inlet?

As long as you have the right diameter hose, it shouldnt be hard to get them sealed. Might try double clamps, or (even better, and probably more important) BETTER quality clamps. When I replaced a return line in my IG pool, I went to a boat supply store and they had some REALLY good worm drive clamps. Look for ones that have a really small gap between "slots", they allow you to get a LOT tighter than the HD/pool store generic clamps. A little expensive for a clamp (5 bux a piece or so), but well worth it when you never have to touch them again.

-Chris

I'll give that a try. Thank you very much.

And yes, these are the lines to/from the skimmer and return for an a/g pool.

Steve

HarryH3 said:
Are you certain that you have the correct size fittings for that hose? It should be fairly difficult to push the hose over the barb. If it slides on easily, then the fitting is too small of a diameter for the hose. :(

I inherited this pool so I have kind of a hodge podge of fittings. I tried two different fittings on the skimmer, one was straight and the other was an elbow. The first was smooth but the elbow had the barbs. Some of the fittings are clearly loose fitting and I haven't use them with this new hose.

The new hose is thick in diamater. 3/16ths ? That'd be my guess. It just feels like you can't possibly tighten those clamps enough to tighten that hose on the fitting.

Where should I get the right fittings for the job ? Is there a specific name or site to buy them from ? Or a pool place would have them ?

Thanks again guys.

Steve

Are you using the flex pipe that is smooth on the outside? It might not be correct for your application.

Most pool stores will have the hose you need.......its basically short lengths of pool vacuum hose......ridges on the outside and a flat portion at each end where it connects to the pool and filter.

The reason you might not be able to tighten it down is because it sounds like you are using black flex pipe that is mostly for underground use (sprinklers, IG pools, etc).

My parents had an AG, and their return jet and skimmer just had a tapered slide on connection that you pushed the hose onto until it stopped, then tightened the clamp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.