Second Hayward H250 Leaking. Stumped

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Last year our 3 year old Hayward H250 FDN started leaking and eventually we replaced it. At that time we were told it was likely the heat exchanger. I am pretty neurotic about my chemistry but of course no one records all their test results. So last July the identical model heater was installed and used for 3 months. We opened last month and I noticed a little dripping on the first heating stint. Someone suggested it might be some condensation. In any event, I didn't notice it again until last night and this morning. The water temperature was 81 and I had set the temperature for 82 last night. I noticed some water drip and the concrete pad was wet. An hour or so later, it had pretty much dried up. This morning I went out and the heater was on, maintaining 82. I dialed it up to 85 and noticed the wet area again and it was sufficient enough to dampen fingers touching the concrete. Again, an hour or so later it was dried up and hasn't returned all day. These are the same intermittent symptoms I experienced last summer with the previous heater. Here is a link to a thread from last summer with pictures showing the old heat exchanger:

what-caused-this-in-my-3-year-old-hayward-heater-t50449.html

Anyhow, I know it isn't my chemistry. After buying the new heater last summer I have written down the results of every water test I've done. That leads me to believe it must be something to do with the install. Does anyone have any idea what my issue could be? If it's condensation, how is that sorted out? Should I just call Hayward since the warranty should still be valid? Thanks a ton.

Below is a picture of where the water leaks onto the pad.

Attachments

• haywardleak.jpeg
    haywardleak.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 116
I have seen this issue more times that I can count on both hands. I talked once to a Hayward warranty guy and he told me that Hayward has an issue in the manufacturing of the heat exchanger. What is happening is that they take the tubes for the heat exchanger and expand them so they fit. Apparently the process is a bit off and some of the tubes are thinner at one end more then they should be. Regardless of how well you maintain your chemicals you will develop a leak.

You can call and complain to Hayward but if I were you I would ask for money and not a replacement unit, if the offer you anything. I would then take that money and invest it wisely into a new heater. Do your homework on what to buy. I work on all brands and I can find only one that has minimal issues, Raypak/Rheem.

BTW, Hayward has yet to say there is an issue with this product. They just keep offering replacement units to people.

Is this issue with the exchangers well known within the industry? If I call Hayward can I expect them to blame me or readily admit these issues? Lastly, if it is a hole in the exchanger, should it not leak all the time with the water showing chlorine on a test?

jonmar said:
Is this issue with the exchangers well known within the industry? If I call Hayward can I expect them to blame me or readily admit these issues?

Hayward not only has this issue with this heater, but they also have a problem with the boards inside. Will the admit it if you call them? Probably not.

jonmar said:
Lastly, if it is a hole in the exchanger, should it not leak all the time with the water showing chlorine on test?
Are you saying that the water leaking from the heater should show chlorine in it? Of course it should as it's pool water.

ps0303 said:
jonmar said:
Is this issue with the exchangers well known within the industry? If I call Hayward can I expect them to blame me or readily admit these issues?

Hayward not only has this issue with this heater, but they also have a problem with the boards inside. Will the admit it if you call them? Probably not.

jonmar said:
Lastly, if it is a hole in the exchanger, should it not leak all the time with the water showing chlorine on test?
Are you saying that the water leaking from the heater should show chlorine in it? Of course it should as it's pool water.

I ask because the leak as yet is not continuous and I have not been able to detect chlorine in it.

I spoke to Hayward this morning. He mentioned water chemistry and I let him know that after having to replace a 3 year old heater last summer, I have recorded every single test. He asked me how often I shock the pool and when I told him once every 2-3 weeks as needed, he claimed that was too often. He asked how I add the CYA and I told him I dissolve it for a couple days first and then distribute it over the whole pool. He seemed satisfied with my PH range never being outside 7.5-7.8. He asked for pictures of my entire install. He is going to send a tech with a new heater to install it at no cost. He said they will investigate to find the problem and mentioned stray current and asked about bonding. Any one have any idea on that?

Got home today and the concrete pad was perfectly dry. Even pulled around and touched the base completely dry as well. Turned the heater on and within 5 minutes it started dripping. So much I could easily hold two test strips in the drip and no chlorine at all. Could this be condensation? Pool water is 80.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.