Brown spots on plaster pool -- caused by lime pellets?

JPEJPE

Jun 9, 2013
My landscaper just spread pelletized lime on my lawn and carelessly spread quite a bit INTO our plaster-finished pool. Initially I thought it was dirt from edging/trimming, but then noticed it had not gone away.

First question: can lime cause brown spots in my plaster finish?

Second question: how can I fix it?

I've tried brushing with a nylon pool bruhsh, but that didn't work. I since tried a steel pool brush and that seemed to help (somewhat) bit it was getteing too dark to really tell if it made it better, or worse. I'm concerned that repeated, significant brushing in these areas with a steel brush may end up causing more damage to the plaster than the lime (apparently) caused.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,
John in Massachusetts

Just spoke with my landscaper and he used a product made by Solu-Cal called Enhanced Calcitic Lime. Here is a link to the product web page: http://www.solu-cal.com/media/pdf/produ ... 0label.pdf

The only "metal" I recognize on the label is magnesium. I don't know if magnesium could cause these brown stains?

I'm also uploading a photo of the chemical composition from the bag.

In one reply, you mention using Vitamin C to eliminate the stains. Can you please direct me to a page that tells me what product to buy and how to apply it to the bottom of my pool?

Thanks,

John[attachment=0:3deaoobx]Pelletized Lime label from Dave M.jpg[/attachment:3deaoobx]

Attachments

• Pelletized Lime label from Dave M.jpg
    Pelletized Lime label from Dave M.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 70
Any vitamin C tablet (that you would normally eat). Either crush some up in a sock of something and set them on the stain, or just rub the tablet on the stain for a few minutes and see if the stain lightens.

UPDATE:

I noticed my pool was developing pink algae, so I treated both the pink algae and the brown spots with lithum-based chlorine (powder/bags) yesterday. It seems as if both the pink algae AND the brown spots caused by the lime pellets have disappeared!

While I (think I) understand why the pink algae disappeared, I have no idea why the lithium eliminated the brown spots, but I wanted to share it with you so others with similar problems might benefit.

I'll let you know if things change.

Thanks for all your help!

John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.