Question about chlorine test Taylor FAS-DPD kit

Apr 24, 2013
So we've been bringing a sample of our pool water by the local pool store once a week or so, and aside from some minor tweaks (CYA level a little low, PH a little high, etc.) they're telling us it's actually looking pretty good, and I assume it's doing well because the water is crystal clear and you have to get right down on top of the water before you barely smell any chlorine odor. I've also been hitting it with a gallon or so of pool chlorine every other weekend to help maintain chlorine levels alongside the tabs we keep in the skimmer. So at any rate, if all our levels are pretty good, then I would expect the Taylor Chlorine test to function like the instructions and videos, however, I'm pretty sure I could dump that entire vile of powder in and the water STILL wouldn't turn "pink". Seriously -- I've put a dozen scoops in before to the point where it was just tinged with pink, and ONE DROP turned it clear again. i ended up picking up test strips because I don't have any confidence in this test kit (despite the fact that it was pricey and everyone seems to love it.)

Am I missing something here? I've been using the 10ml level -- should I be using the 25ml?

Did you get the TF100? Do you have the OTO chlorine test? That would definitely tell you if any chlorine was in the pool.

You should post a full set of test results. Wondering how high your CYA is. But sounds like you have not been adding enough chlorine.

Trust your kit. Stop going to the pool store for testing.

The FAS-DPD test is quite good. Is the powder white? If the powder is white and is not turning the sample pink, then you probably don't have much free chlorine. Are you doing the CC part of the test? What readings are you getting from your other test methods?

How long have you been using tabs? Low CYA and high pH are the opposite of what one would expect from a tab pool.

Thanks all, it's the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD kit (I think k-2006). Usually goes for around $50 on Amazon.

The powder is white. I ended up picking up some test strips also which I'm going to try tonight to compare against the kit. The test kit seems useful for doing a full checkup periodically, but for regular checks everyone I talk to says strips work fine for them (and it's annoying sitting there mixing solutions and counting drops.) That said, I'll let you know the results of the test strip. Maybe it is indeed low on chlorine, but I tested it a day after I dumped probably two gallons of shock in, and right after that was when I posted. We've been using the tabs for a few weeks now, two at a time in the skimmer. I haven't tried the other tests for CYA, PH, etc., but I'll give them a try as well, as I'm curious to see how they match up to the pool store's numbers. I'll post results.

You might want to do some reading in Pool School. Using chlorine tablets will constantly raise your CYA level. Eventually CYA will get really high and cause problems. The tablets also constantly lower the PH, which needs to be monitored and adjusted up again.

but for regular checks everyone I talk to says strips work fine for them
Well, they don't "work fine" but that will be a decision you make.

This forum is all about precise testing and precise dosing. If that turns out to be too much trouble for you, then we can only advise you on the numbers you provide us....or the free pool store testing which is worth exactly what you pay for it.

tenguzero said:
Maybe it is indeed low on chlorine, but I tested it a day after I dumped probably two gallons of shock in, and right after that was when I posted. We've been using the tabs for a few weeks now, two at a time in the skimmer. I haven't tried the other tests for CYA, PH, etc., but I'll give them a try as well, as I'm curious to see how they match up to the pool store's numbers. I'll post results.

I would almost guarantee that it is. Just dumping in shock and testing a day later doesn't tell you anything. If your FC was 0 to start and you had stuff growing in your pool it would be used up pretty quickly. Test for chlorine after adding the shock (maybe give it up to an hour to circulate if you feel better about it, but not a day) to make sure you actually REACH shock level (which is based on your CYA level, not some arbitrate amount of "shock" added to the pool), then you have to keep testing to MAINTAIN your chlorine at shock level until you have no CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.