Nothing but problems with this pool :(

We started the opening procedure of our in-ground pool last weekend.

We took the cover off, filled it up to the line with water, and put degreaser in, changed out the sand (21" cooper ranger". When we went to turn the pump (jacuzzi magnum force) on, it wouldn't prime. Eventually found out we had a crack in the bottom. So we bought a good condition used 2 year old starite 1hp 2 speed pump from a guy who was closing his pool. Hooked it up, got rid of the leaks, primed it using a priming plug and it worked great!

I tried cleaning the bottom of the pool with the leaf net before I started vacuuming on waste, and got as much as the leaves out as I could. I vacuumed the pool on waste, until the water got below the skimmer (still learning about how to properly vacuum with the water above the skimmer so I don't lose suction.) I cleaned out the pump basket which was overflowing with leaves and debris.

I filled the pool back up to the line, but now I can't get it to prime. I blew out the line going from pump to skimmer thinking it was a blockage, I took apart my pump to see if it was the diffuser and it was pristine. When I put the priming plug in, the pressure kicks it back out again. We found we had 2 small leaks in the line from skimmer to pump and repaired those. I try to recirc the filter to prime it but nothing goes to the jets. There isn't enough pressure or water coming through to backwash properly either.

I am at my wits end as this pool has been nothing but problems since we bought the house last August. Shy of paying a fortune to have someone come out, how do I fix this problem I am having, or what could be causing it?

When I vacuum a large amount of debris the propeller in my pump can become clogged. In my case i can just need to remove 4 bolts and pull the motor off to expose the propeller. I then use a zip tie and push it through the openings in the propeller to remove any debris.

Also when first opening my pool it takes a long time to prime the pump due to blowing the lines out during closing. I normally run the hose for about 10 minutes to fill the lines as much as possible.

A failure to prime is most always a suction side air leak. If you have repaired 2 already (are you sure you got the sealed?) there may be more.

Another possibility is a clog in the suction line since you have been pumping so much debris through the suction side.

When I put the priming plug in, the pressure kicks it back out again.
I am unfamiliar with a priming plug. Do you have a pic or description as to where it goes?

Usually I would put the priming plug (rubber stopper with hole in the middle attached to hose) in my skimmer hole. It filles the lines with water (filter on recirc) and pushes air out of return jets. Once there is no more air and lines are filled with water I start my pump. But now when I try it the pressure in the line causes the plug to pop out but doesnt make its way to the pump or return.

There is no air valve on my filter.

As for leaks, the two that were found were above ground before pump and under a door in a walkway to garage. The rest are under ground. We fixed the line by cutting and replacing that section

I blew out the line at the pump forcing it out the skimmer for at least 5 min. Shouldn't it be cleared?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.