Pump Performance

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I have an AG pool; a SuperFlo 2sp 1 hp pump; a Clean and Clear Cartridge filter; a MasterTemp 400 btu HD heater. My pool is an Intex that has a through-wall skimmer added; one return; and another suction port that was original to the Intex, and has a plunger valve on it. The pool is plumbed with 1.5 inch flexible hose, which sits on top of the ground because I take everything away in the Fall. The flex hose runs from the pool to the equipment pad with a few slight, very gradual curves along the way (around flowers and a sandbox). I have approximately 75 feet of this hose from the pool to the pump, and so another 5 feet or so from the heater to the pool on the return.

Issue 1 (I noticed this situation last year well as this year):
When I run the pump on low and have the plunger on the non-skimmer suction port open, there is not enough suction through the skimmer to pull debris into the basket. Even cottonwood things float by and when I open the skimmer lid there is stuff floating on the water over the basket. If I close the non-skimmer suction port I do get an acceptable amount of skimming action. Does this seem abnormal?

Issue 2 (I noticed this last year as well as this year):
When I put the pump on high, I get sub-par vacuum performance with the second suction port open. I have to close it to get a really good vacuum job done. Does this seem abnormal?

Thanks for any input as to whether this performance seems normal for my configuration.

Sounds pretty normal. Do you have a weir on the skimmer, if not, that would help.

As for vacuuming, water will take the easiest route and that is not likely through the vacuum.

Is this performance different than previously observed?

Thanks for the responses.

jblizzle said:
Sounds pretty normal. Sho you have a weir on the skimmer, if not, that would help.

As for vacuuming, water will take the easiest route and that is not likely through the vacuum.

Is this performance different than previously observed?

I do have a weir door and it seems to work. No, this is not different than previously observed, but last year was my first with "real" pool equipment, and I wondered last year if it was to be expected. I had no problems with it last year, other than learning when to do what with that bonus suction port. I only bothered to ask about it now because I am having trouble with my heater this year that at times seems to be water flow related (and at times seems gas or ??? related) so I wanted to be sure the pump/suction situation seems normal. If you have an interest in troubleshooting the heater issue, feel free to chime in at

troubleshoot-a-mastertemp-t62022.html

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.