Getting started in Automation

Sep 26, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
My work schedule can be very crazy, sometimes taking me out of town for a few days at a time. I'd like to get a more automated system to control my pool chemicals so that they don't get too far out of whack. I already have an Intellitouch control system from pentair to turn the pumps and valves, and so far this year I've been using the BBB method. So Would I benefit more from getting the pentair intellichem to add the bleach and muriatic acid so that it's all the same brand and ties into the intellitouch? Or would you recommend switching to a SWG? Also, Does anyone have pricing info for these systems? I have a 12000 gallon pebbletec pool.

Your best bet is a SWG. The IntelliChem adds additional complexity, which means more things to go wrong and less overall reliability. If you do have consistent problems with maintaining PH, you could get an IntelliPH, though most people don't need that.

Regardless of what you automate, things like cleaning the skimmer basket still need to be done by hand, so there is a limit to how long you can go without paying attention to the pool. With a SWG, leaving for two or three days generally works very well, and five or six days works most of the time. You can't really go away much longer than that without having problems fairly often.

I was just at the pool store picking up some stabilizer and asked them about the intellichem. They told me not to waste money on it because the sensors are so unreliable. Anybody have experience with this?

Also, I would be open to getting a system to automate chlorine and/or ph levels. Just whatever is recomended most. I do consistently have high PH (8.5-9.0) though. (tap water ph is ~8.3) So I'm sure the automated ph would make this much easier. but if there are too many problems with automatic chlorine systems then i'll just go with intelliph.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.