cloudy water = bubbles from intex swcg?

Jun 4, 2013
B.A. Okla.
18' summer escapes pool. Been set up for 3 weeks, added an intex swcg and intex 14" sand filter last weekend.

Water tests ok for everything at the pool store, seems perfectly clean except a bit cloudy. shining a bright flashlight into it at night it really seems like it's just full of bubbles. I was in the pool earlier today cleaning and the walls are completely coated with bubbles. Any way to get rid of them or just live with it?

If the problem is bubbles from the SWG, it should go away when you get the water properly balanced.

You can verify that bubbles from the SWG are the issue by turning off the SWG for a few hours. If it is bubbles, it will clear right up.

I am getting a similar effect with my intex SWG. Don;t know if I have the same cause. Can JasonLion clarify what is meant by "properly balanced"? i.e. what imbalance would make the SWG bubble?

I am fairly confident the source of bubbles is the SWG. Intex has clear pipes so you can see clear water coming into the unit (see slide1) and then LOTS of bubbles forming around the metal plates in the electrolytic cell mid-section before passing out and into the pool.
[attachment=1:3r2l8zyl]Slide1.jpg[/attachment:3r2l8zyl]

I am wondering if I have an air leak in the seam of the electrolytic cell (see slide2). Doesn't seem like that much air should be trapped in there. Tempted to try some silicon to seal it up but unit is still under warranty. Maybe I should just send it in. Ideas?
[attachment=0:3r2l8zyl]Slide2.jpg[/attachment:3r2l8zyl]

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 82
Welcome to tfp, china_pt :wave:

The swg should be on the pressure side of your pump (and last thing before the return to the pool) so it is under pressure and will not draw in air where you show it. The intex does create a gas that can pool up in that area of the cell. Usually a higher flow rate will reduce the amount trapped there, but as long the flow switch is freely moving and indicates enough flow, that amount of air isn't a problem.

The swg will create small bubbles , but they usually dissipate right when they enter the pool.

Found out for good yesterday that my cloudiness bubbles were caused by a leak in my suction-side plumbing letting air in. I tried to backwash the filter and noticed I had a LOAD of air in the filter that came out before any water did. It's all re-clamped and good now.

All SWGs always produce hydrogen bubbles when they are active. However the size of the individual bubbles varies depending on quite a number of factors. The bubbles are normally next to invisible, but under certain conditions they can be a size that strongly refracts light, making the bubbles very obvious. This usually only happens when CYA is really low and the water is cold, but there are other combinations that can cause it.

99% of the time if you balance your levels to the recommended range it will go away (because that will change the size of the bubbles).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.