May 23, 2013
Ok I will start with test numbers today

FC 17.5
CC ,5
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 180
CYA too low to get a reading

Pool is clear but has green tint. Shocked last night. Brushed last night. also added stabliser (altough this didn't seem to help the CYA). Should I add algaecide? more shock? or anything else. I currently use chlorine tabs.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Thanks for those test results.....They are incredibly helpful and, as a brand new member, you are to be commended. :goodjob:

Have you been getting rid of an algae bloom? In other words, was your pool full blown cloudy green or just the clear, transparent green you now have? A pic would likely be helpful in identify the source of that green.

You need to add CYA to your pool. You are consuming a TON of chlorine without it. For now, add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm by calculating the dose carefully.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It has a lot of useful information that will give you some answers and probably cause you to ask some questions as well.

I'll wait to get your response (or pic even better) before suggesting on how to clear the green.

I think I added the picture. to add a little history, the pool was crstal clear last weekend. We had rainy weather all week and the pool wasn't tested (or maintained) THis latest challenge (Green tint) seem to almost happen over night.

Second Question according to the Poolcalculator.com I need to add 56 onces of stabliser, according to the directions on the bottle. I need to 6 onces (mix 6 to 1 ) or 36 onces. which way do I go?

thanks,

How much stabilizer (CYA) did you add to the pool. Which type? Powdered or liquid? Powdered won't show up in the test for sometimes as long as a week after adding. The liquid will show up within and hour or so.

You said you shocked last night. Shocking is a process not a one time addition to the pool. Read pool school until you completely understand this concept. You raise it to shock level with liquid chlorine then test frequently and keep replacing the chlorine lost to algae and the sun. This could take more than a couple of days if there is visible algae present.

Dear H Swingle,

Really, please read Pool School, and you'll understand what you need to do. In the meantime, while you are absorbing the info there, members here will assist you.

To that end, please post your complete test results. Thanks.

Also, please note, the green tinge didn't truly happen overnight. It happened during the rainy week when you weren't maintaining the pool. The algae grew gradually, and it merely became visible to the eye overnight.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with liquid stabilizer. I hope someone else experienced with the product will assist in that question.

You will get this back under control!
Alan

Technically I added clarifier (thinking it was the same thing) and because the water was cloudy yesterday. and on the shock I added two bags of Super Shock.

I test the FC yesterday and it was 13 today itis 17.5 (it has been cloudy and rainy here)

Well, the pic would still help a lot, but based on your words, I think you maight have precipitated some iron out of your pool.

Here's what I would suggest....

First and foremost STOP adding things to your pool when you don't know the outcome (clarifier, Supper Shock) All those things may or may not help but thay can hurt and you don't show any symptoms of needing the. A tenant of what we teach is understanding what goesa in your pool and what the outcome will be.

Next, get that CYA (30 ppm) in your pool that was suggested above....sooner rather than later.

Then, do nothing except run your pump/filter and test your FC twice each day. As your FC recedes to around 4 ppm, then please keep it right at that level by continual replenishment. 3-4 times daily if you can.

I think that will clear your water as the iron will go back into solution and will probably not turn your pool green again (although it will still be in your pool)

Have you ever tested for iron?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.