AquaComfort Signature Series Heat Pump Working or not?

May 30, 2008
Fairfield County, CT
Hi All,

New pool owner having issues with my AquaComfort Heat Pump - It is taking 7 minutes to raise my spa temp one degree - so like two hours to get my spa temp up - too long? temp outside is 60 to 70 - my spa is approx 550 gallons - I have not even wasted my time trying to heat my pool with this kind of output - I am thinking about having Blue Haven Pools come and replace this but they insist it is sufficient to handle the job and perhaps something else is contributing to the poor performance to start off - my details are in my signature - anyone have advice on how to hanlde this?

There are various things to check, particularly the various valve positions. Check that you have good water flow to the spa and that water isn't also going to the pool. When heating the spa both the suction and return should be 100% from/to the spa. Depending on your plumbing it might also be possible for water to bypass the heater, and if so you need to check to make sure that is not happening.

Can you direct your suction valves to take more from the spa? This will accelerate the warmup, since you are heating warmer water as you go, rather than pulling cold pool water in to try to heat.

JasonLion said:
There are various things to check, particularly the various valve positions. Check that you have good water flow to the spa and that water isn't also going to the pool. When heating the spa both the suction and return should be 100% from/to the spa. Depending on your plumbing it might also be possible for water to bypass the heater, and if so you need to check to make sure that is not happening.

Thank you! We did have the valves checked and confirmed 100% to/from the spa - however the plumbing issue/ bypass is more difficult and we have yet to recieve confirmation that is not happening - what next steps should I be taking? Should I push for a better unit? They screwed up on a few things and "owe" us some favors to say the least.

JohnT said:
Can you direct your suction valves to take more from the spa? This will accelerate the warmup, since you are heating warmer water as you go, rather than pulling cold pool water in to try to heat.

The suction should be 100% to and from the spa when in that mode - there should not be any "pool" water circulating/ mixing in at that point from what I understand.

The bypass question depends on your plumbing, most systems don't have a bypass, but some do. With a photo of your plumbing I could probably figure out if you have one, but sometimes the system is too complex to figure out from a photo.

If everything was working correctly the spa should be heating up two or three times faster.

Another thing to check, do you have ice on the fins of the heat pump?

Aqua comfor heat pump

We have one of those and it works. When we turned it on it took about two days to heat the Pool (20x40) from about 70 to over 80, it ran the whole time the pump was running (10hr/day). Now the pool is at 82ish and I will run the heat pump Fri for the wkend. It seems to perform much better when the outside temp is higher than 60, didnt see any reason to run it when it was that cold. I know when its really doing well by seeing the kids standing around the heat pump due to the cold air coming off the fans.

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.