autopilot screen keeps clogging

mdc

Jun 9, 2013
We have a salt pool with auopilot. Can't get the water clear; clearly the filter/chlorinator is not doing its job. The chemicals seem to be ok (I have added shock to make sure chlorine stays good). I keep on seeing the blinking red light and the message :"Purifier off; check flow". I clean the screen, put it back, and a few minutes later I have to repeat. I cleaned the basket. What else could it be?

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

When you clean the filter screen in the PoolPilot manifold, is there a lot of debris there? If so, there is probably something wrong with your filter.
_
I was afraid of that. But shouldn't the pool people who got our pool started a couple of weeks ago have noticed that when they re-installed the filter? Aren't they supposed to clean the filter at the start of the season?

Maybe and maybe. Pool opening and closing services generally include cleaning the filter, but not always. They don't generally include testing to see if the filter is working correctly.

What kind of filter do you have?

JasonLion said:
Maybe and maybe. Pool opening and closing services generally include cleaning the filter, but not always. They don't generally include testing to see if the filter is working correctly.

What kind of filter do you have?

I have a Nautilus DE filter model # FNS 36

It is usually obvious when a DE filter is not working correctly, since DE accumulates in the pool. However, it is possible for the multi-port valve to break so that some water completely bypasses the filter, which seems more likely.

If you are seeing DE in the pool, check to make sure none of the filter grids inside the filter are torn and all o-rings and pipes inside the filter are intact and correctly installed.

If you are not seeing any DE in the pool. Check the multi-port valve. The most likely failure is a problem with the spider gasket.

JasonLion said:
It is usually obvious when a DE filter is not working correctly, since DE accumulates in the pool. However, it is possible for the multi-port valve to break so that some water completely bypasses the filter, which seems more likely.

If you are seeing DE in the pool, check to make sure none of the filter grids inside the filter are torn and all o-rings and pipes inside the filter are intact and correctly installed.

If you are not seeing any DE in the pool. Check the multi-port valve. The most likely failure is a problem with the spider gasket.

They just replaced the multi-port valve. I guess there is DE in the pool since when I clean the aquabot there is fine mud in it. So I guess we can't avoid replacing the filter... :(

It shouldn't be too difficult. There is normally a locking ring that gets loosened and removed and then the top comes off.

Examine the grids and look for tears. You can replace individual grids. If several grids have failed it is often better to replace the entire set of grids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
It shouldn't be too difficult. There is normally a locking ring that gets loosened and removed and then the top comes off.

Examine the grids and look for tears. You can replace individual grids. If several grids have failed it is often better to replace the entire set of grids.
Of course I should stop the pump first. Any other precautions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.