Eastern Long Island,New York
Last week perfect,
ph 7.5
fc 3
cc 0
cya 60
SWG 50%

this week cloudy water as of yesterday afternoon
Jandy SWG showed no flow I don't know why. No error codes, I have since reset it and recalibrated it and it seems to be working.
However test results are as follows
ph 7.5
FC 0
CC 3.5
CYA 0
How can it be zero? I live on long island and 2 really big rain storms and I drained a lot of water.The water level was over the the top of the skimmers.
But still 0 - doesn't that seem strange. Just last week after testing for CYA with the tft 100 I added 4 pounds of CYA to the pool to bring it up to about 70.
Ran pump over night and the cloudiness got better. Still a little cloudy. I did find 2 dead field mice in one of the skimmers.
Please help me understand what happened to the CYA before I add more.
Thanks
Rich

Yours :))
I put it in the original post.
The tft 100
Also I have had your kit for a year and its great. I have never had any problem with my pool. Like I said I tested last week and the CYA was adjusted to about 70.
Today the CYA test tube looks like I put in tap water after putting in the mixture of the pool water and the R-0013 in the CYA mixing bottle. In fact I overflowed the special test tube.
Thanks Dave you are the best.

In your first reading, you noted it as perfect and it's not. Your FC was way low to work with your CYA level of 60. Your FC target range is 7ppm with 5ppm being the lowest you should go. Now you have CC's this week.

MAYBE.... and it's just a hunch you lost the CYA to a combination of 2 things. #1 would be to rain water and #2 would be to algae. The reason why I say #2 algae is because some pools, mine included have lost CYA over winter and I've read here a few times that it could be from something in the water converting it to nummy nums. :shock:

If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected when someone says so.

Add more CYA and shock your pool. :goodjob:

Well, that is certainly a puzzle that I cannot answer. If you dosed enough to get to 70, then it should only have gone down by how much water you replaced since then. For it not to register on the test, you would have had to replace somewhere around 80-90% of your pool water.

Any chance you used the incorrect reagent? (should be R-0013). Sure doesn't seem possible but that's all I can think of.

That R-0013 reagent is totally inert and should really never expire so going from viable to bogus in one week seems impossible.

EDIT: I just saw Casey's post. I would have to say that "nummy nums" may be the all time best descriptive adjective for bacteria :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That process is always over a winter season so I don't think is applicable here but I may remember "nummy nums" for the rest of my life.

First thanks for the response.
Where did you see the FC should be 7ppm? I just looked on the recommended levels for a vinyl pool with a chlorine generator and these are the levels I see recommended.-
vinyl with SWG
FC 3-5
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 50-300
CYA 70-80

Once again thanks...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the same situation recently, had 12-14 inches rain and had to drain a couple inches a couple times to get skimming working. CYA should have been 40, was just added the week before, now it is undetectable, so I'm working on getting it back up now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.