Problem connecting main drain hose

annch

Jun 2, 2008
MD
I am ready to open my pool. Last year when I opened the pool, I had trouble connecting the main drain hose to the filter because water is pouring out while doing this, and this kept pushing the O-ring off. Is there a trick to this? I just can't figure it out! I haven't seen this question asked anywhere else, so I must be missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :p

Annch, welcome to TFP!!

The first thing to try is setting the o-ring in place with some silicon or teflon based lube - this often is enough to get the union to seal. If that doesn't work, you can try to place a plastic bag over the drain, using your pool brush to position it, so as to reduce the amount of water that will be passing through the line. Then again, you could always don scuba gear and plug the drain, but that would be excessive.

The last thing I can think of right now is a VERY old-school method wherein you jam some bread into the open line to 'plug' it while making the connection (the bread will quickly become saturated and dissolve while providing you enough time to complete the connection - the bread breaks down into ~ slush and will be filtered out)

I hope that one of these will work for you :)

If you ever need more help with the pool - you know where to come :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.