Looking for a Home/Pool Automation Solution. Pool Pic inc.

Jun 8, 2013
My pool is a 15k gallon pool with a waterfall/bench jets/top return system. no spa
[attachment=0:3jvgraq9]IMG_2972.jpg[/attachment:3jvgraq9]
This is my wish list that I would like to control.
pool pilot cholorinator
pool pump intelliflo vs-control speeds, schedules, speeds etc.
Aquacal Q175 control heat pump
control a valve actuator for waterfall/bench jets
put in a float valve for too high water trigger alarm and then control a valve for draining egg timer down a plumbed drain. (kind of a scary thought)
create a vacuum program that will close/open appropriate valves and turn up the pump speed?
Landscape lights on a scheduled timer
SAM Pool light
4 zone irrigation timer w rain sensor bypass (not sure if possible to incorporate)
Internet web based internal house/AC thermostat (not sure if possible to incorporate)

additional considerations.
Thought about incorporating a motion sensor alarm type system that sends alerts. Read about ISY product not sure if needed if you buy the intellitouch interface. PTZ camera(s) to monitor the property over the internet after a motion sensor alert.
Turn on an outside stereo system. Not too hopeful to change volume, stations etc via my phone just yet but would be nice.
Running wires is not an issue.

Questions and comments
Can the valve actuators be programmed to turn less than 100%? ie 1/2 and 1/2?
Can I control the Aquacal SQ175 heat pump temp or just view status with the intellitouch?
Can this system do sprinklers with a rain sensor? I have not seen anyone mention it. I was going to buy an irrigation caddy.
What is the best solution for this setup? (Pentair easytouch and intellitouch, personality kits and autelis)
4 relays or 8? If the sprinklers won't work then do i really need 8?
Do the valve actuators use up available relays?

Screen logic seems have it all but has their own servers. I am not sure that this is a deal beaker as you can connect to it via the local network if I am not mistaken. why does nobody setup a vpn to not use their servers. Android support is right around the corner and Autelis is out of stock on everything.

Re: Looking for a Home/Pool Automation Solution. Pool Pic in

Valves can be setup to turn to any two positions anywhere in their range of movement.

The IntelliTouch will turn the heater on and off as needed, with temperature adjustment on the IntelliTouch.

While you can get some control over irrigation/sprinkler systems from a pool automation system, it is usually better to have a separate system to control them. The actual tradeoffs depend on many of the details of where things are located and just what features you want for the irrigation control. Any pool control system can do simple on/off control on a daily schedule, but better irrigation controllers compensate for rainfall and do other things that a pool automation system does not do.

EasyTouch is probably plenty, but the IntelliTouch does give you additional flexibility.

Most people discover uses for additional relays over time, and it is less expensive if you purchase them up front.

The first three or four pool valves do not use up relays. If you need more valves than that, one option is to use relays for the additional valves. Irrigation valves will use relays.

Pentair sets their stuff up to be used reliably by people with no Internet knowledge. They assume you don't know what a VPN is, and don't want to confuse users by mentioning it, or supporting it.

JasonLion said:
"While you can get some control over irrigation/sprinkler systems from a pool automation system, it is usually better to have a separate system to control them. The actual trade offs depend on many of the details of where things are located and just what features you want for the irrigation control. Any pool control system can do simple on/off control on a daily schedule, but better irrigation controllers compensate for rainfall and do other things that a pool automation system does not do."
I was looking for simply to turn on and off zones based on x minute run time and not run if a rain sensor has tripped. I just don't know if the easy touch can make that determination.

JasonLion said:
"EasyTouch is probably plenty, but the IntelliTouch does give you additional flexibility."
I just had a call with Pentair. They said that if I am going to incorporate a separate home automation systems that the intellitouch is needed. I don't see the need for this. An app for each functionality is fine by me. sprinklers vs pool etc.

JasonLion said:
"Most people discover uses for additional relays over time, and it is less expensive if you purchase them up front."
Given this setup with out the sprinklers how many relays would i use? (easytouch 4 vs 8)
the cost is $400 more for the 8. I am wondering how many of the 4 I would actually use.
landscape lights?
Does the sam light use one?
Does my heat pump use one?

Thanks!

None of the pool controllers will work with a rain sensor.

Each light, or set of lights, that you want to be able to turn on/off independently needs a relay. Underwater lights can not share a relay with landscaping lights. If you have color changing lights, they should not share a relay with non-color changing lights. There is a relay reserved for the pump. You don't need it for the IntelliFlo but you will want to wire the AutoPilot SWG to it. The heater does not use a relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.