Coffee anyone?

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
FC (i shocked yesterday w/ 2 gallons of 6% bleach, so while trying to read today, i just kept adding drop after drop of chlorine test and color didn't change so i stopped, felt like i was just wasting my reagents)
cc (read above)
PH 7.4
TA 100
CH 60-70
CYA 50 (i just added about 3lbs of CYA yesterday, so I don't think i was supposed to even really test this for a full week)

Filled from a well, pool was clear, but had fine dirt/silt on bottom of pool. After raising ph and shocking the pool turned this beautiful chocolate/coffee brown. I've read the http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains and paying $200+ for 5,000 gallons of water seems pricey to me. I have read lots of mentioning of something called 'floc' or 'floccing'...i was hoping to get more detail on this or what my next steps should be. I'm not even 100% sure its iron/metals that are the issue here.

while filling the pool - http://i.imgur.com/q8i83bI.jpg

after raising ph and shocking - http://i.imgur.com/MCngo6u.jpg http://i.imgur.com/yoy08fU.jpg

I realize that the pool looks totally out of level but its actually only about 1"

Sequestrants will keep the metals from depositing as stains. They will not remove the metals from the water. You will need to add sequestrant periodically to keep the metals bound and prevent them from depositing as stains.

No. It won't stay brown. Because if it did, many people here who fill their pools on wells probably wouldn't have a pool and spend all that money to swim in a brown/coffee colored water. :lol: I know I wouldn't. Unless it really was full of coffee n then I would just pimp my pool out to the working class! :mrgreen:

You just need to add the sequesterant and maintain it. :goodjob:

I am going to change the direction of the thread just a bit. That looks like dirt to me. If it is, you can filter and vacuum and that will go away.

You should have your well water (not your pool water) tested for iron content and let us know the result. If the result is .3 ppm or less, you can perhaps safely assume that you have sucked up a lot of dirt from your well water.

Do you have a whole hose filter on your water? Does it get filled with dirt often? Do you happen to know the GPM capacity of your well?

Casey said:
No. It won't stay brown. Because if it did, many people here who fill their pools on wells probably wouldn't have a pool and spend all that money to swim in a brown/coffee colored water. :lol: I know I wouldn't. Unless it really was full of coffee n then I would just pimp my pool out to the working class! :mrgreen:

You just need to add the sequesterant and maintain it. :goodjob:

Could you recommend a brand of sequestrant? When I google the term I just get a bunch of info about a food additive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
I am going to change the direction of the thread just a bit. That looks like dirt to me. If it is, you can filter and vacuum and that will go away.

You should have your well water (not your pool water) tested for iron content and let us know the result. If the result is .3 ppm or less, you can perhaps safely assume that you have sucked up a lot of dirt from your well water.

Do you have a whole hose filter on your water? Does it get filled with dirt often? Do you happen to know the GPM capacity of your well?

There was definitely a looooot of dirty, sandy, silty stuff at the bottom...and when i filled i used three tube socks tied to my water hose. They turned muddy/brown.

Can you recommend a way to test my water for iron? Our previous homeowner had a whole house filter/water softener installed but i disconnected it. I paid a company in durham to come out and show me how to operate it, but instead of teaching me anything he just "fixed it" and left...i literally had to beat info out of him. So instead of damaging what is probably thousands of dollars in equipment, i bypassed it all until i can find the help/info i need....speaking of which, is there a subform in here that could show me in dummy terms what kind of stuff i have?

I tied a bolt to a string and dropped it in my well last week while filling the pool to measure depth. I'm about 20-23' feet deep...yeah, you read that right. and the water level was about half of that. I timed how long it took to fill a gallon jug at an outside faucet and measured 6 gallons per minute...yup, only took 10 seconds to fill that jug. I did install a new pressure pump last year because the old one had numerous leaks.

Can you recommend a way to test my water for iron?
Either purchase your own iron test ($55) or take a sample to a pool store and hope for meaningful results. You really need to identify whether or not you have significant iron in your water before you can go much further.

1. Your well is a LOT deeper than 20'.

2. The capacity of your well is unrelated to how fast it comes out of the hose. I think there is a good chance you exceeded the capacity of your well when filling.....you sucked it dry. When you do that, the resultant turbulence down at the pump brings a lot of dirt up from the bottom and, since you bypassed your filter, deposited it in your pool

Can't help with your equipment on this forum....we discuss pools but no real experts on wells that I know of.

Unless you have a large diameter 24" or so opening (a cistern) most wells in the area are 200 feet or so....just guessing yours probably is, too.

If you choose to presume you have metals, that's fine. You will then need to follow the above posts suggesting the use of sequestrants......that won't be cheaper for very long but that's your call.

Its a bored well. I can take the lid off and see the water....almost touch it. Old school stuff lol

Im going to go back home and continue to vacuum until i can get up to capital pools and have them test my water.

Ive stopped backwashing for a week because i put in cya.....can i cheat on this rule and check cya in a week or two and adjust accordingly?

You were correct....it was simply dirt. Got hone from the pool store and rhe water was clear.....the pump kicked off....everything settled to the botton and i vacuumed to filter. I did however go against your advice and backwash.....dark red clay water came out.....it was unbeleivable....wish i had pictures.

Ill have to recheck cya next week and readjust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.