Cloudy water - What to adjust first?

Jun 9, 2013
Virginia
I shocked my pool a 2 weeks ago and got rid of green algae, added 6 bags of salt to get back up to @3200 and kept my SWG set at 60%. Chlorine production has been good, but water remains a bit cloudy. My filter cartridge was worn down, so I replaced it with a new cartridge 2 days ago. Water is still a bit cloudy. Below are my updated test results from yesterday:

Free Chlorine = 5.9 ppm
Total Chlorine = 6.2
Combined Chlorine = 0.3
pH = 8.0
Hardness = 48
Alkalinity (w/ stabilizer correction) = 59
Cyanuric Acid = 23
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
Total Dissolved Solids = Not run

Pool info: 21,000 gallon Fiberglass / Pentair SWG / Waterway ProClean 200 Cartridge Filter / 2-speed Hayward Pump (0.5/2.0 HP)

Since the chlorine level appears high, I turned off my SWG yesterday. I realize most of the other chemicals need balancing as well... my question is in what order should I balance these first? And which is most likely causing the slightly cloudy water?

Normally, I would lower pH first, but if I let the chlorine level come back down a bit.. will that lower the pH on its own?

Welcome! :wave:

If your water is not clear, you are not done with the shock process. Visit pool school and read and follow the How To Do The Shock Process article.

Also, CYA should be higher with an swg. But for now, turn it off and manually dose with bleach until the shock process is complete and you pass the three part test set out in the article i referenced above. Then raise your Cya to maintain FC with the swg.

My local Ace Hardware store has pool supplies and they have a computer to test the water sample. My test strips actually make the pH appear mid-7.5 range, but I assume the computer test showing 8.0 is more correct? We had heavy rain on Friday (6 inches), so I had to drain pool a bit. Not sure if that affected pH. I ran test on Saturday (strips and computer).

Hello and Welcome

First thing you need is a real test kit like I have

The TF-100 then when you get it read the instructions and post your numbers for the Pro's here

Then listen to what they tell you and your pool will be Sparkling Clean in no time

I went from a very green pool to Sparkling Clean in less than 2 weeks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.