Great Tests Results - Still Cloudy after a week

Jul 8, 2011
Hello,
This is my first year using BBB and it's great so far. I've read tons of articles in the pool school, have my Taylor test kit, and look forward to applying it this year. Here are my results from today:

FC: 15
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 110
CYA: 75
(I don't know my calcium hardness because even when I follow the instructions for a sliding end range in the Taylor test kit, it turns purple.)

I may do a partial drain/refill to lower my CYA (or allow sunshine and cannonballs to lower my water level and then add fresh water), but for now I'm shocking to my CYA levels.

My problem is that for the past 5 days (even with appropriate levels) I'm still cloudy (progressed from not being able to see 3rd step down to now barely being able to see the main drain at 7 feet). I've cleaned the cartridge filters 2 x's and vacuum regularly. Anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate it.

Hi jenandthegang:

At a CYA level of 75, you need to be shocking at an FC level of 21 ppm and holding the FC at that level until you meet the three criteria of "Done" for the Shock Process:
  • 1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
    2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
    3. And the water is clear.

Although you are vacuuming regularly , have you cleaned out all the debris from the skimmer baskets and pump filter basket as well? These areas are often overlooked and debris in these places will increase FC consumption as if it were on the pool surface.

jenandthegang said:
(I don't know my calcium hardness because even when I follow the instructions for a sliding end range in the Taylor test kit, it turns purple.)
See if this helps with your CH test procedure: Extended Test Kit Directions - scroll down to the CH - Calcium Hardness section

Thank you for the info, BoDarville and bigfunky. I tried the extreme case "fading endpoint" directions already, but I followed your link and will now try the idea below:

"In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two."

I'll also keep in mind that it may go to purple before blue.

Forgot to mention that it looks like clarifier was my solution.

After a week of faithfully following all shock procedures (including keeping my shock level high, consistent with my CYA) the thing that did the trick was a bottle of clarifier (not floc). Seems I had suspended particles that were too small to get caught in my filter. It's cleared up tremendously in just over 12 hours.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.