Metal staining from well water

Jun 8, 2013
Hello - I am new to the group and have a question. I have a well. After having my liner changed I added both well water and city water to my pool to fill it quicker. I would say it is about half and half. As soon as it was filled, and I turned on the chlorinater, it turned brown. From past experience, I know that means metal. So i did what everyone recommends and removed the stain. Here is the issue. My neighbor and I share the well. He uses the well water to maintain and to fill his pool. No city water. He has no problem with staining at all! Is there any other factor that I am missing? I am spending a ton of money to keep my pool nice as I am putting it on the market.

Also, I have some old chlorine tabs that have been exposed to sun and heat. They smell very strong and I know are probably not as effective. Could these cause part of the problem? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP ! :wave:

When more than one party shares a well, there can be differences in the metal content due to potential differences in the supply lines to one house vs. another. Plus your neighbor may be running the well water through a softener or other water treatment apparatus before it goes into the pool or they may be using a sequestrant in the pool water to prevent the metals from depositing as stains.

Also, I have some old chlorine tabs that have been exposed to sun and heat. They smell very strong and I know are probably not as effective. Could these cause part of the problem?
Yes, possibly. Some tabs contain a copper-based algaecide. If yours does, then that is adding more metals to the water. Might also be helpful to see what your neighbor uses for chlorine.

This would help out as well... :testresults:

I am glad to share the pool water results. I am taking water to the pool store later today and will let you know. I wanted you all to know all the facts. I actually share the same hose with my neighbor so the water is exactly the same. I spoke with him and found out what he uses for chlorine and am going to use the same product. I remember last year he had his liner changed and had a lot of problems when refilling the pool. His problems were scaling and some discoloration. I remember his stairs were brown. We used a lot of scale remover and shock in his pool before it cleared. It has been clear and scale free for a year now. Maybe I should add some scale removed to my water and see if it somehow makes a difference!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.