DIY 18x33 oval agp project

May 14, 2013
Hebron, Indiana
This is my 18x33 oval agp project I'm working on. I dug 60% with a skid loader and dug out the other 40% by hand. I'm doing the final leveling now. This is slow a going process the ground is mostly clay.

OM2t75kME2rmh-3R9gLqLFLGS0wHbMjO2Cr_j-2Fe78=w367-h207-p-no

iZa11Dw5FXUUequ7id2IAYc8oN_45regBCLbChfoQLk=w367-h207-p-no

CZPUALzPP1-5vv5RKkl6t-RhfeNLrm-setKdRN-X6e8=w276-h207-p-no

9vZ3DLtgcmHZutlAxgQ6r7oooJbK0kejfC4iZktru7A=w277-h207-p-no

9ybQ0Gf2dPktXgBhBnEGlSPenPAo0gntdm7ykvRgLP0=w276-h207-p-no

qiHGHrKhW61KyabvyCEl2tkqKC1UGvn8xUXEIxeStk0=w276-h207-p-no

Ch2d6cv7WX1-FLYbDZT6PUWBF9TppWIgiWQ8fZunvcs=w276-h207-p-no

iri2f4L_A0c7vRLQjwNuAD7ETdNMO1tiLgoQ-UW9leY=w276-h207-p-no

HamburgerChef said:
Was it too hard to get level with the skid loader. Is that why you had to shovel so much?

I thought I had it level with the skid loader. But once I put the level down on the ground I was at least 5" off on the side closer to the house. I've been a shoveling fool. I dug the first 12" by hand then I hit clay. I'm in the process of the final leveling now. I used my water level and set all the patio stones for the uprights now I'm working off of the patio stones. I should be done leveling tomorrow.

timothy918 said:
HamburgerChef said:
Was it too hard to get level with the skid loader. Is that why you had to shovel so much?

I thought I had it level with the skid loader. But once I put the level down on the ground I was at least 5" off on the side closer to the house. I've been a shoveling fool. I dug the first 12" by hand then I hit clay. I'm in the process of the final leveling now. I used my water level and set all the patio stones for the uprights now I'm working off of the patio stones. I should be done leveling tomorrow.
My back aches with empathy for you.

But you're doing it right. An extra day or two making sure it's level-level-level will save you ten times that much work if it's not.

Richard320 said:
timothy918 said:
HamburgerChef said:

My back aches with empathy for you.

But you're doing it right. An extra day or two making sure it's level-level-level will save you ten times that much work if it's not.

That's what I keep trying to explain to my wife and daughter. It has to be level.

I feel for you brother, but your doing it right and that will pay dividends...trust in that!!!
I've seen several threads here over the years where oval owners had to tear down and re-level, and no matter how much work that first leveling is, it will never be as much work as draining, disassembling and doing it over again.

Keep on going :goodjob:

Leveling is the hardest and most crucial part!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update Re: DIY 18x33 oval agp project

I finished leveling the ground yesterday and what do you know it stormed last night and now I have 4" of standing water. I'm draining it now. My plan was to get the foam bottom prepped and put down so I could get the wall put up today. All that is out the window. Now I'll have to wait a few days for the ground to dry up a bit.

IMG_20130613_154208.jpg

Rain got us too. About 2.5" worth came down last night. I am gonna go for it anyway. Bobcat, riding tamp, and laser transit will be here tomorow. Then 24 hours of intense site leveling and packing. Hope to be done by Monday morning with site prep. Maybe start putting up the wall by within a week. :-D

I've got a mud pit myself! I can't do anything til it dries out.

update DIY 18x33 oval agp project

I used the shop vac to get the liner smooth also. Started filling it today, got the uprights installed. Tomorrow I'll get the top ledges installed and maybe start back filling. It's been a long hard journey but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My next project is a deck.

IMG_20130623_175408.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.