How to convert my baqua pool to chlorine

Jun 8, 2013
Hi there - This is my first post and I'm hoping I have all the correct information. I want to convert from Baquacil to chlorine and am not sure how to start. From reading other posts, I've found that bleach is the favored recommendation but how much to begin with? My water is blue but VERY cloudy with much debris and frog eggs! I do not know my baquacil rate because my test strips do not give me numbers. The light blue color says add maintenance dose if that helps. PH is at 7.5 and ALK is at about 100. When and how should I start?

Thanks!

Welcome! :wave:

If you don't have the right test kit already, don't even bother starting until you do. Get the TF100 XL and a speedstir. You'll be happy you did in about two weeks.

And take pictures. Lots of pictures. Maybe even a video when the first splash of bleach hits the pool.

Well, I've already started and just discovered the test kit I bought only measures fc to 5! Should I just stop? Can't afford all that bleach and $90 for test kit right now. Have 5 kids itching to swim so I guess I got in a hurry. Not sure where to go from here.... pool is looking pretty yucky though!

Well, you're sort of committed now, aren't you? :mrgreen:

You can guesstimate FC by diluting your sample with non-chlorinated (bottled/distilled) water and multiply the result for starters. That's probably close enough for the initial technicolor conversion. When the shade just fades rather than changes, and to know when it's completey Baq-free, you'll need something better.

You can turn that K-2005 into a K-2006 by buying just this: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html Order today, probably have it in your paws by Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on where you live.

Here she is in all her slimy green glory! Just tested again, got fc of 2. Added 355 ounces of bleach. This is the 4th time. Once last night then 3 times today. Going to add once more tonight before bed then start again tomorrow. Have to work so I hope it doesn't set me back too much. Husband is skeptical, lol.

Attachments

• Camera(4).jpg
    Camera(4).jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 215

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I tested, the water was slightly darker than the five. I guesstimated a seven because I didn't want to add too much. This morning is at a 5. I'm going to try to hunt down a free chlorine test kit today. Hope everything is alright.

Trying to "shock" using the OTO test will lead you all over the place. Odds say you never reached the 15FC point at the start, which you can't verfy as the testing only goes to 5. A good FAS/DPD test is a much. You'll waste more money in bleach shocking blindly than you will in a good test kit.

http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

Couldn't find anything our and about today. I went ahead and ordered the test kit. Should I still be trying to test for 5 FC or less and continue adding bleach according to the pool calculator? Or should I just wait a few days for the kit? Please help!

My vote is to keep going. It's not like algae where you're trying to kill it and it comes back; once you oxidize baquagoo, it's oxidized. And you need something in that water to keep the algae at bay; might as well be chlorine.

Like I suggested - dilute the sample 1 part poo water and 2 parts bottled water, mix it up and pour that into the chlorine tester and see what you get. Then triple the reading. It's only for 2 more days, most likely, until the good kit arrives.

When you think you have enough bleach, double it! Just clear the shelf at Wally World cuz you're gonna need it! :mrgreen:

When I tested last night, FC was at 0 so I put in 533 oz. Bleach. After adding, I tried to test by adding 2cups distilled water to 1cup pool water. After adding the drops, the water turned a dark orange and the 5 on my test tube is only dark yellow. Tried twice with same results. This morning, I took 2 cups distilled water and 1 cup pool water. Color was still darker than the 5 on the tube, which would indicate at least 15 FC. Didn't add this morning. Going to work and will check when I get home. Hope my T100 comes soon!

Very excited! I can see the bottom of my pool for the first time this season! FC was at .5 so I added 515 oz. bleach and there was NO COLOR CHANGE! Hopefully I'm on the down-hill side now. Bad news, the clear water has shown me a huge mass of dirt in the middle. The whole pool was just vacuumed on Friday and we've tried to keep it brushed but apparently haven't done very well with it. Problem is, we can't actually reach the middle with brushes so... is it safe to get in to brush and or vacuum? Even with the extension pole, we can't reach! I know this has happened fast and I'm still waiting on my T100 but, since it didn't change colors when I added this afternoon and it seemed to hold over-night last night (according to my multiplication version with my faulty kit), when should I begin the next step? And, should I keep adding that much bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.