Iron stains

alwyn

May 30, 2013
Buford, GA
Is there any danger that if I ignore the stains in my Vinyl pool that they will become permanent?

In my case I had 2 years of really bad pool openings. I started doing BBB somewhere in the middle of the 2 and was worried that the bleach were causing the stains. After opening 1 the CYA was 90-100, constantly had to battle mustard algae and shock multiple times. After opening 2 had to replace most of the pool water, so CYA dropped to 20 which made me really happy, but the stains are worse. When I first moved in 2 years ago and before the bad openings there were no stains on the vinyl. I tested with Vitamin C and it does remove it.

My landlord asked the pool guy (who does the opening) why the stains are there and if he needed to replace the liner. The pool guy said that it was just the vinyl liner wearing out and he should not replace it unless it leaked. Now apart from the fact that the pool guy mostly does concrete pools, I don't think he is ignorant about iron stains, so he probably just made up a story so as to not have to deal with the landlord.

The pool is filled from county water and the only visible rust I see in the pool are on the bolts on the top step of the metal pool steps. The filter power switch box mentions a heater and opening up the box it has a timer inside, but unless the heater is buried under the ground I can see no evidence of it. Think house was build in 70's, it has those public address systems built in, so the pool has probably been around for that long. Size is 20' x 40' and takes about 30000 gallons.

Ideally I'd like to get it out of the water completely, but researching the forum that sounds like a pipe dream. I just want to find a way to limit the financial impact of becoming a jack's pink addict.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.