I don't know where to start

Jun 8, 2013
I looked up "best swimming pool forum" and here is where the web brought me. Ive looked around and seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

..well for starters the pool sat all winter. At the end of last summer the liner got a hole in it. It must be small because I was never able to find it, and now the liner has separated from the wall in a few spots and appears to have water behind it. Over the winter the pump stayed off and I kept enough water in it to keep the liner from drying out. So I'm sure you guessed the next problem, the green murky water. It's become a breeding ground for frogs and smells horrible. I've actually considered just filling the thing in. If I keep it I can't drain it because I live in an area with wetlands and swamps so i'm assuming the water table is high. I want to try again to find those holes but the water has very low visibility, and I'm worried about the germs in the pool. The water almost looks septic. At this point all i've done is scoop out everything i could reach with the net. I haven't run the pump because I don't want to clog the filter

ADDITIONAL INFO

I have a sand filter
The pool is 16x32, around 20,000 gallons
Not sure about the size of the pump
The last pool guy I had has one of the jets capped off, not sure why.
Water leaks out of pool until level is down around the light on the deep end, and i'm pretty sure its draining out on that end. Neighbors yard seems a little wet but not as soggy as i would think.
Did a strip test, says cl is ok, but I dumped a bunch of chlorine in it earlier that day. Says Ph is high, around 8.2. Alkalinity is ok, total hardness was low, cant remember what acid test was(at work now)

That's a lot of additional info...ha ha

Welcome to tfp, griffinew :wave:

griffinew said:
I looked up "best swimming pool forum" and here is where the web brought me. Ive looked around and seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.
Also the biggest pool forum, and imo the friendliest :wink: Another feature you will find on tfp is Pool School (link is always near upper right of each page) which has the most practical and complete pool knowledge on the web.

It sounds like you leak is in the light niche. Others have more direct experience with this than I do and will chime in soon. Here is a thread showing how to diagnose it when the light niche is underwater: http://www.troublefreepool.com/an-example-of-a-leaking-light-niche-t27628.html

With that said, what needs to be done now is to complete the shocking process. In order to do so you are going to need to know what your cya (cyanuric acid) level is.

In addition, we strongly recommend getting an appropriate test kit, it will make the shocking process much more efficient. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since that has the best value. Test strips are often very misleading/wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.