Pump info....

DMAN11

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA area
Our setup for our new inground vinyl (16X32, Not sure of gallons??) comes with a 1hp Hayward Pump. I have heard alot about getting a 2-speed pump instead of just a 1 speed to help save on electricity,,,,which I am all for....

My question is this, if I do get a 2 speed pump, do I still need a 1hp, or should I look to get something like a 1.5 hp to have the extra juice on the low setting? OR will a 1hp w/ 2 speeds be sufficient? I have seen posts mentioning a Hayward Northstar 1.5hp 2 speed. Would tha be good for our size pool?

Also, we are wanting to add a small waterfall water feature later on, will this same "main" pump work for that, or will we need to get yet another pump?? (1 for pool - 1 for Polaris 280 - 1 for waterfall ??)

I also have read alot of posts about automatic pumps or variable pumps ? like intelliflo that I think is Pentair? but does Hayward make something equivalent? what about others?

Thanks,,,,

DMAN

Normally you don't upsize when going with a 2-speed pump. The idea is that the lower speed can handle your circulation and filtration at a lower cost per gallon of water than the higher speed, while you still have the high speed for cleaning or recovery from very dirty water. Since you have a booster pump for your cleaner, you don't need extra pump for cleaning.

The flow required for a waterfall is very specific to the particular installation. It would be hard to guess at your pump requirements. Most waterfalls need almost constant circulation to avoid pools of unsanitized water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.