Need to find some kind of glue down coping

Jun 8, 2013
I live in what was originally my parents home. Back when these homes were built in the early seventies, the local pool builders were pushing Fox pools. The pool is still going strong, however there is one very annoying problem. These pools around here were all built with decks that sloped toward the pools! For some idiotic reason the pool builders thought this was a good idea. So every time it rains, everything washes into the pool! After finally cleaning up a major algae problem, our first tropical storm left the pool a mess. It took a day of vacuuming and lots of shocking to get it back to normal. This will happen every time we have a big rain! Other than filling in the Darn thing. I am trying to find out, is there some kind of flexible berm or coping that one can install around a pool such as this? We are not allowed to have pavers installed in our community so deck pavers are out of the question. The decks can only be poured concrete, and no new construction is permitted. ( I hate HOA's ) So I am left with trying to find something that I can glue down around the pool. Has anyone heard of anything products like this? :hammer:

I have not. But is it possible to install channel drains in the existing decking to route water away from the pool? We got 10" rain with tons of muddy runoff in our pool last week and we are investigating drainage options. Channel drains are at the top of my list.

MiaOKC said:
I have not. But is it possible to install channel drains in the existing decking to route water away from the pool? We got 10" rain with tons of muddy runoff in our pool last week and we are investigating drainage options. Channel drains are at the top of my list.

I don't understand how you would do this, without cutting into the existing concrete. This sounds both like an expensive project, as well as being against our HOA rules, of no alterations.

You would need to cut into the existing concrete to install, but I don't think it's an expensive project - they sell these channel drains at Lowe's and HD, you can price them online, and you could rent the tools necessary to install. Your post did not say your HOA had a rule of no alterations, you said the HOA did not allow new construction, and must be a poured concrete deck and not pavers. Good luck.

MiaOKC said:
You would need to cut into the existing concrete to install, but I don't think it's an expensive project - they sell these channel drains at Lowe's and HD, you can price them online, and you could rent the tools necessary to install. Your post did not say your HOA had a rule of no alterations, you said the HOA did not allow new construction, and must be a poured concrete deck and not pavers. Good luck.

I understand, the concrete has to be cut. With a concrete saw, this can be quite labor intensive. Concrete does not cut like wood, and there are steel supports for the pool inside the concrete slab. Also I don't see where these would do me any good, as theres really no place for them to drain to. The pool is at ground level, and there are no storm sewers where we live. Likewise it is an oval pool, any drains would have to be square. This still leaves a lot of room for junk to wash into the pool. I am basically looking for something that I can make a barrier with, to keep the pool deck from draining into the pool. The pool is below ground level. Thanks for your input, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.