PURPLE WATER

rmgee

Jun 8, 2013
Hello, I am new to this site and to being a pool owner. I hae been working on getting my water to clear up.When our pool was filled, it was dark brown. I worked on that for a week or so used metal out and filter continuosly and finally got water to a light green color. I added algaecide to water 5 days ago and have been adding bleach. All of my levels were way off. On June 6th, 2013 my levels were:
TH- 100
FC- 0
pH- less than 6.4
TA- 40
CYA- 0
Last night I added baking soda (I thought it would help raise pH and alk.) I also shocked my pool. This morning I checked the pool and it is purple! Like easter egg purple! Im so upset, just dont know what to do or apparently what Im doing!!! Please help. Dont know if you want my ranges today since I shocked last night but I will go ahead and post..
TH- 100
FC- 10
pH 6.4
TA- 120
CYA- 0

Stop and take a breath. :)

Purple, rare, but seems like metals. Maybe manganese.

First, use borax and raise the pH to the low 7's. Use the Pool Calculator (link in my sig).
Only test/adjust pH when the FC is below 10.
AFTER the pH is confirmed in the low 7's,

Then raise CYA to about 30. Again, use Pool Calculator.
Add the CYA via the sock method.

Then add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to shock level of about 12 FC... use Pool Calculator.

What is the source of the fill water? From a well?

No more algaecides, they are not recommended and some contain even more metals, which you do not need.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

p.s. Would you please post a pic for us?

You desperately need to raise your PH level first and foremost BEFORE adding any more shock/chlorine/bleach/whatever. Let FC drop below 10 and check PH again. Zero CYA is able to hold exactly Zero FC in reserve------it burns off too fast. Raise CYA to 30 and shock at that level. Forget TA for now. Been to pool school? Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the advice. I will try that out. I do have well water and have added metal remover twice. I am trying t;o post pic of water just having a hard time getting pics to post.

Get your own proper test kit as I suspect some of the numbers may be wrong, especially the CYA level. If your pH got very low, you could have corroded your copper heat exchanger or otherwise used a copper-based algaecide and what you are seeing as the pH got up somewhat higher is copper cyanurate which is purple. As others have noted, it could also be manganese since that can also be purple. Again, get yourself either the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006.

rmgee said:
here is a pic of water

OMG! It's..... so....... pretty! :mrgreen:

Okay, I'm done! :shock: Sorry... I didn't know what else to say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well water. I know it is very pretty. Too bad we cant swim in it!!!! I will test again today and see where Im at. Should I add metal remover again? Im scared to add anything!! What color will be next!!!! Ive had brown to green to purple.

Yes I did get my water tested for metals at a pool supply and it showed no metal! That wasa when our water was brown. They instructed me to go ahead and add metal remover, I did and it helped a lot, cleared to ight green. Then when I added shock again along w/the baking I got purple.

I'll bet they only tested for iron and copper, but not for manganese. Manganese is less common so is not always tested. The Taylor K-3221 test for manganese is very expensive at $416 compared to an iron and copper combination test such as the Taylor K-1264 for $108. So it would not surprise me at all if the pool store did not test for manganese.

You should probably add an HEDP-based metal sequestrant (one of the ones recommended in the Metals in the Water and Metal Stains Pool School article. You may need to use a lot of it.

Do you think we can come together and turn it ruby red next? :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.