Another way to test chlorine?

Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
What's another recommended method of testing chlorine levels? My kit is down to about 1-2 more uses R-0870 and I'm in the process of shocking. Is there anything worth buying at an LPS or WalMart or anything?
Dumb question I'm sure, but this is only my second season and I've only ever used the TF100 test kit.

When going through the Shock Process, you really need the FAS-DPD test which uses that powder. The FAS-DPD test is the only commonly available chlorine test that can measure FC levels above 10 reliably. You can check local pool stores and see if they have it. Otherwise, you can order refills here: TFTestkits Refills

If you cannot get that powder locally today, you can use the dilution method for the OTO test as Butterfly suggested to tide you over while you wait for your refill to arrive (which is usually pretty quick) . The OTO dilution method is explained more fully here: Extended Test Kit Directions. Scroll down to OTO Chlorine Test section.

It seems like there are a few places around that stock the R-0870. It is certainly worth a couple of phone calls.

Same thing as a toothache, this only happens on a weekend. :lol:

It's not terribly accurate, but while you have some powder, get a reading and then take another using the OTO (yellow color) drops and see what it looks like.When it stops looking canary yellow and starts to look like school bus (or Caterpillar equipment) yellow, it should be around 12, and then starts to get into various shades of orange.

It's something, anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.