CH 300
CYA 60

Test today July 31
FC 3
PH 8.5
TA 80
CH 325
CYA 50

I have MA for lowering the PH but I need to get stabalizer for increasing the CYA. Also I have my SWG @ 60% with the filter pump running 10 hours daily.. should I increase the SWG %%?

You need to up your SWG to 80%-90% if you want to run your pump for 10 hours. 60% for 10 hours gives you less then 3 ppm. Get your SWG % to where your FC is rising, not falling, then you can reduce it slowly. Better having it too high than low.

Add 20ppm of stabilizer.

Lower your pH. How do you measure pH of 8.5? Lower your pH in small doses from such a high level using PoolMath. PM MA calculations are not very accurate when changing pH by more than .2.

I would put enough bleach in to get to 7ppm and yes increase %. Recheck cya, it shouldn't drop unless you exchanged water.

Minimum FC for 50cya is 4, 60 is 5. Anything under that leaves you open for algae.

I would add MA to lower ph before any swimming.

Lower your pH. How do you measure pH of 8.5? Lower your pH in small doses from such a high level using PoolMath. PM MA calculations are not very accurate when changing pH by more than .2.

My bad... I should have said PH of 8.2 even though the color is a little more stronger than the one listed on the Taylor K1000 Kit. I will add MA to lower the Ph and increase my SWG to 80%. Also I will order the dry stabilizer from Amazon and increase my CYA once that arrives. Its been raining all afternoons here in Central Florida...

Hi. Any recommendation on stabilizer that I can find at my local HD / Lowes or Walmart. I ordered the PuriTech from Amazon but it will get here next week and I wont be in town then. Looking to increase CYA this weekend.

Thanks.

You should find something in your local store. Brand does not matter. Pretty much all pool stabilizer is 100% CYA.

It was the Chlorox branded pool salt that isn't recommended. The Chlorox branded CYA/stabilizer is fine - Walmart usually has it in the pool section. I just got some a few weeks ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't pour it in the skimmer, especially with a cartridge filter. It'll get stuck on the pleats and if you wash it too soon you'll lose it.

Do the sock method in front of the return. Let it sit about 20 minutes then go squish it. Do the squishing every 20-30 min till it's all dispersed. If you bought the Chlorox brand, it's very soluble.

Tie it to your pool pole - dangle the sock about a foot off the side of the pool in front of a return - weigh down the end of the pole on the deck with a couple of bricks or some other weight. Leave the pump running and squeeze the sock every 20 minutes or so to help the CYA dissolve quicker. Don't let the sock rub on the side of the pool itself.

Good. I’ll use the pool pole. And about my filter pump.. when filtering daily I have the VSP set to 1700RPM.. is that enough or an increase in RPM is recommended when adding chems?

Sorry on my stupid questions but I’m a first timer.

WHen you add it via the sock, the CYA dissolves into the water.
When you add it directly to the skimmer, you not only risk a clog in the line, but the CYA can get trapped in the filter itself and not dissolve or get flushed out.

Sock in the skimmer with the pump running continuously, or hang the sock in front of a return (but not touching the pool itself) if you don't want to run the pump continuously.

Maddie :flower:

Update: I added the stabilizer this morning using the sock method and it was diluted in like 3 hours. I took a CYA reading like 5 hours after it was diluted and came in at 80. I guess we are good on CYA now.. usually how often you guys test CYA? Weekly? Every 2 weeks? Just asking because my reagent is half way through already ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.