6-7" high spot...how to fill the gap

Zone

May 25, 2020
Chicago
I am almost done leveling my dirt and then plan to use foam. Based on the water level within 1/2" all the way around and will level the pavers as well.

My question is, I had to dig down 6-7" at my high spot. Given that large drove from the grass to the pool what do I put there? Any risk I should be thinking about?

Digging down was definitely the right move, building a pool on fill is never a good idea. It can be done but requires more than just moving dirt around. The fill material must be a stable material that can be packed in layers to build up a solid base.

Some above ground pools are rated to be partially sunk in the ground, if yours is this type, you can fill the cut out area back in after the pool is installed and filled up with water. The other options would be to cut the ground further back to build a small retaining wall or reshaping a larger portion of the yard to create a smooth transition around the pool.

Digging down was definitely the right move, building a pool on fill is never a good idea. It can be done but requires more than just moving dirt around. The fill material must be a stable material that can be packed in layers to build up a solid base.

Some above ground pools are rated to be partially sunk in the ground, if yours is this type, you can fill the cut out area back in after the pool is installed and filled up with water. The other options would be to cut the ground further back to build a small retaining wall or reshaping a larger portion of the yard to create a smooth transition around the pool.

the pool is an Intex Prism I don’t believe it can be below ground.
Plan is to keep this up for 3-4 months this year. Maybe I just leave that gap for now and worry about it next year.

Does your soil drain easily? The only thing I'd worry about is water sitting around the base of the pool.

Before this the lawn drained really well and never had an issue with this spot. Haven't had a good rain since I prepared the land and haven't put up the pool yet.

I guess I can always just drop a 10 foot french drain in the high spots so it sends water towards the low spot and out to the rest of the yard.

Before this the lawn drained really well and never had an issue with this spot. Haven't had a good rain since I prepared the land and haven't put up the pool yet.

I guess I can always just drop a 10 foot french drain in the high spots so it sends water towards the low spot and out to the rest of the yard.
That sounds good if you end up having an issue. I'd probably watch it and see what happens, and then if you need to move water you've got a solution.

That sounds good if you end up having an issue. I'd probably watch it and see what happens, and then if you need to move water you've got a solution.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if I needed some kind of retaining wall or something given I have a 6" gap now between my soil and the pool floor. Guessing if the water flows easily it wont really cave in the soil there.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if I needed some kind of retaining wall or something given I have a 6" gap now between my soil and the pool floor. Guessing if the water flows easily it wont really cave in the soil there.
Ah, didn't have retaining wall on my mind when posting; I was only thinking of water pooling. I think if it looks iffy as far as the soil moving, I'd probably stick a landscape timber in front of it, stacked 2 high and held with rebar. That would be a really inexpensive solution. For a 3-4 month set up, I wouldn't want to put a lot of money in to it, but you don't want water or soil sitting up against the pool legs. I'd probably watch it after a rain and go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.