First time using test kit

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I filled my pool from a well, so i didnt test for FC...i'm assuming there is none.
I tested my pH and it was so low it didnt register....i'm assuming 6.x
TA i got 20ppm
CYA i'm gonna guess 0. The black dot never disappeared and I've yet to add anything to my pool, other than the 120lbs of salt last night.

My pool has 5,000 gallons or so, (website says 5,061) with a SWG so i think my goal CYA is about 70...the pool calculator says to add 47oz by weight of stabilizer. It also says to add 49 weight ounces of baking soda...bu to raise my ph its saying to add 4,275oz of borax??? first pool here...but 267 lbs of borax seems a bit much....help?

wait...i put pH as 0....but its not 0...but i cant read it with my kit...do i just assume 6.x and add a single pound of borax?

nate81 said:
I filled my pool from a well, so i didnt test for FC...i'm assuming there is none.
I tested my pH and it was so low it didnt register....i'm assuming 6.x
TA i got 20ppm
CYA i'm gonna guess 0. The black dot never disappeared and I've yet to add anything to my pool, other than the 120lbs of salt last night.

My pool has 5,000 gallons or so, (website says 5,061) with a SWG so i think my goal CYA is about 70...the pool calculator says to add 47oz by weight of stabilizer. It also says to add 49 weight ounces of baking soda...bu to raise my ph its saying to add 4,275oz of borax??? first pool here...but 267 lbs of borax seems a bit much....help?

wait...i put pH as 0....but its not 0...but i cant read it with my kit...do i just assume 6.x and add a single pound of borax?
Fix the TA first - aim for about 60 - and give it an hour or so to mix well, then retest pH. If you're still below the scale, just enter 6.8 and dose accordingly with borax. Give that an hour or so to mix well, then test it again. Repeat until pH is about 7.5.

You will have no CYA unless you put it there. It's not a naturally occurring thing.

You also need to put bleach in before it turns green. Once it's balanced and stable, then worry about salt and turning on the SWG.

Richard320 said:
You will have no CYA unless you put it there. It's not a naturally occurring thing.

So on the pool calculator, just enter CYA as zero and my goal is about 70 and follow that? 47oz of stabilizer for my 5,000 gallons of water?

Also, is it same to assume that the FC is 0 since i've added nothing to my water yet?

nate81 said:
Richard320 said:

So on the pool calculator, just enter CYA as zero and my goal is about 70 and follow that? 47oz of stabilizer for my 5,000 gallons of water?
If that's what it says!

We advocate 1) filling an old sock or nylon with the granules and suspending it in front of a return
2) Aim a little low in case your pool isn't as big as they say it is. It's easy to add more later, but only goes away with draining.

nate81 said:
Richard320 said:

Also, is it same to assume that the FC is 0 since i've added nothing to my water yet?
You are using the calculator correctly.

Your fill water should be 0 FC since it is coming from a well.

duraleigh said:
Get your pH into the 7's first. Then don't "get shock" but initiate the "shock process". It's VERY different

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

typo ;) I was going to type get the bleach in the pool. I'm going to use 2 gallons of bleach (from calculator) after I get my ph up...but do i need to be checking my CF after I raise my ph or will there be no affect?

nate81 said:
duraleigh said:
Get your pH into the 7's first. Then don't "get shock" but initiate the "shock process". It's VERY different

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

typo ;) I was going to type get the bleach in the pool. I'm going to use 2 gallons of bleach (from calculator) after I get my ph up...but do i need to be checking my CF after I raise my ph or will there be no affect?
pH doesn't change FC. High FC can mess up pH test. That's why we say fix pH first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.