Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me stabilize my rising pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me stabilize my rising pH?

My pH is constantly on the rise. Not sure exactly what the trend is due to the fact that I work away from home for 30 days at a stretch. I just know that it is beyond 7.8 when I get back.
    IIRC from the last time I was in, it wasn't unusual to see it raised by .4-.5 in a 2-3 day period. I'll keep a better journal over the next couple weeks to see what it's doing.
    For right now, I'd like to get you guys to look at my numbers/timed events and tell me if there is something that I should adjust in order to minimize the effect.

Aeration affects pH, right? I have 3-18" sheer descents, a spillover spa, and 2 sprays for the tanning ledge. The sheer descents and sprays are timed to run 2 hours a day. The spa spills over as a return for the pool for 6 hours in the am, and 4 hours in the evening. The spa runs it's jets for 4 hours in the morning. This scenario was programmed by me as a means to "keep everything functional" while this house sat vacant through the spring. Now that I look at it, I'm thinking I need to trim this back.
    How would you run the filtration timing in busy season? I'm thinking it's a fairly light load, 1-2 adults with a 4 year old kid a couple times a day for a couple hours at a stretch. We run the pool filter while we swim.
    I should probably ditch the water features timing segment, but it's nice to wake up to the sound in the morning. Is 2 hours a day going to have a big effect on the pH? I could live with turning them on manually I suppose.
    I think I will cut the spa's timed segment down to 15 minutes, (just to exercise the valve everyday) instead of 4 hours.

Onto the chemistry...
    Current pH is 7.3, have been dosing it with 31.45 MA over the last few days to get it where it is.

FC was 3 at 6 pm today. I shocked it with 48 oz of 48% Cal Hypo last night as a final shock for an algae bloom I was dealing with. Should have brought it up to about 11 over night.
    CC is zero, water's clear now.

CYA was very high 6 weeks ago, 90. It was zero when I got back from work. I have an autofill, and there has been some heavy rains but I'm still not sure where it went. I did take over a foot of water out of the pool as I was vacuuming, so that would dilute it quite a bit, but it was still hard to believe zero. I have tested, retested, and ordered more reagents.
    I used about 5 di-chlor pucks over the last week and it was about 15 this afternoon. I added about 8 oz of Balancer into the AquaGenie dispenser this evening to boost it up a tad bit more.

CH is 260, TA is 95.
    I don't have a test for borates, but I haven't added any. Should I? They can help stabilize the pH right?
    7x7 spa drains>16K IG, Gunite/Plaster, Compool 3600, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 350, Sand Filter, 8 Gal Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2
    The first thing to try is bringing TA down to about 60, maybe even a little lower as long as CYA is as low as it appears to be.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I'll work on the TA. Do you agree that I have too much aeration?
    7x7 spa drains>16K IG, Gunite/Plaster, Compool 3600, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 350, Sand Filter, 8 Gal Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Do you agree that I have too much aeration?
    Yes. I suspect that is at least 80% of your pH rise.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

How long and at what times of the day do people normally run their pool filters?