Potassium Monopersulfate

Zadd

In The Industry
May 22, 2013
Deep East Texas
I have two indoor bromine pools. After reading these threads I have discovered that Bromine is a good sanitizer but fails to compare to Chlorine as an oxidizer. I would like to supplement some sort of oxidizer for my pool to release organic matter and other contaminants from the water but don't really like the idea of ozone or have the funds for UV system yet. I tried using Monopersulfate a few years ago, however, i believe I was using it incorrectly and just dumping it in the pool expecting it to shock like chlorine. After a summer of doing this I really didn't see the payoff from this pricy chemical. I'm only concerned with the summer months as the water quality is pretty good the other 9 months.

My questions are:
- What is the normal maintenance treatment using monopersulfate? i.e. Daily, Weekly, or as needed.
- What kind of visual difference could I potentially see in my water quality?
- How does monopersulfate effect my normal water testing results?

I have used it with my indoor pool when CC levels started creeping up to the .5ppm ballpark and there were not any other signs of algae, etc. One down side of MPS is that you need a special test to detect its level, and it shows up on the standard test as CC, I am not sure how any of this effects Bromine though. Speaking of Bromine, why did you choose to go that route on your pools?

Ike

The choice to use bromine in these pools pre-dates me being on staff. The original idea was since we built a predominantly metal structure around it, the use of bromine rather than salt or chlorine would be less corrosive to the building. After several years of asking pool people has gotten me to think that salt is still a bad idea indoors but chlorine might have been a more cost effective choice and not as harmful on the metal structure as they originally thought.

So your telling me that monopersulfate holds out/banks for some amount of time in the water? I was under the impression that it was used up rather quickly and testing it was somewhat useless. Do you remember what level ppm they suggested keeping in your water?

I usually play it by ear on dosage, depending on the amount of CC I would expect to have built up in the pool, usually only needed after pool parties, etc. For example over the holiday weekend we just had the pool saw a much higher than normal use 4 days in a row, starting with an extended family pool movie night on Friday with about a dozen people in the water, another 4 or 5 on Saturday afternoon, then a cookout for a baseball team on Sunday with another dozen or more, and then a mid sized group on Monday. When tested Monday night the CC had came up to .5 so I added about a pound or so of MPS which had CC back down to near 0 by Wednesday night. There is a special test available to detect the level of MPS, which at least in my case shows that the MPS disappears out of my pool typically in 24-48 hours, but I rarely bother to use it, I just know that if CC measurements go up after adding MPS it is a false reading as the FAS-DPD test reads MPS as CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.