Asorbic acid works but stain keeps coming back

Hdagg

Jun 7, 2013
Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stainsHELP

I need help. I have treated my vinyl liner pool 3 times now with AA in the last 3 weeks. Each time the stains vanished but have come back within a week when I start to raise ph and chlorine. 1st 2 times water turned milky. By filtering and back washing I got it to clear up but then the stain returned. I have been using Metal Free as my sequestering agent and wonder if this may be the problem. I am about to AA treat again and am seriously considering draining the pool 15,000 gallons or at least 1/2 of it while I have the staining sequestered in the water.

Any thoughts?
Any idea as to why the stain is coming back so quickly?

Also after 2nd treatment I change the sand in my filter to Zeolite sand. I then did the 3rd treatment Again the staining dissappeared. I added the metal free. Pool stayed clear this time and did not turn milky. I thought I had won!!! Nope , week later as I began to raise ph and FC stain came back. Pretty much on entire liner but worst area is where the first port off filter back into pool returns water into the pool on the shallow end.

This stain is driving me nuts and killing my wallet!!

I have done AA treatment 3 times in the last month. Stain comes back the minute I start to raise ph and FC I am at wits end. I have even changed my sand at recommendation of pool store I am now using zeolite.

I have been using Metal Free is that maybe the problem? I am getting ready to do AA again and wondered if while I have the stain sequestered if I should drain at least 1/2 of the water out of my 15000 gallon pool. Would this help?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Every time I get it tested they tell me there are NO metals??? Not sure on fill water it is city water never had a problem before and problem was evident upon opening this season and last. Last year the AA treatment worked fine.

Them telling you to change the sand was pretty absurd. Are they the same ones that test and get no metals??? Yet your pool has apparently metal stains?

I have no experience personally but continue to read the troublesome stories about metal in pool water.

Was your pool filled from that municipal water? Do you have a water softener?. I would look at some way of replacing your water IF your replacement water is iron free.

If you can't do that, it sounds like you are going to have to change sequestrant to keep the metal in solution. Others will be along soon to offer better advice as to the type of sequestrant.

Hdagg said:
Each time the stains vanished but have come back within a week when I start to raise ph and chlorine...
Any thoughts?
Any idea as to why the stain is coming back so quickly?
Sequestrants slowly break down in the pool, so you need to add more regularly to maintain the correct level. You also may need to keep pH in the lower end of the recommended range. I would aim for a pH of between 7.2 and 7.4 and see how that works for you.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

There is no practical way to remove metals from the water short of replacing the water with new water that doesn't have any metals in it.

Okay I have now treated this pool 4 times with asorbic. Every time the stain disappears. I then put in a bottle of metal magic. Pool looks good for about a week. I add 1/3 bottle of metal magic each week. Once I start trying to raise chlorine stain comes back on entire liner bottom and walls. Yes vitamin c tab removes it. Yes pool store has done copious test of water and never find metals.

Had bearings replaced in my pump last year. Could my pump be putting metals in the system? I am about to drain pool but because new water will cost about 300 I was wanting some assurance that this will solve the issue. Additionally I am probably due for a new liner in ten next couple of years and city will only give sewer credit on water once every 3 years

My plan is to treat with asorbic to lift stain. Add bottle of metal magic then drain pool at least 1/2 way. Or do I need to drain it completely? We have had a ton of rain so I am scared to drain too much and have a cave in. While draining pool I plan to install a brand new pump.

Any comments, suggestions, or ,magic bullets would be appreciated. Oh also the pool store is also telling me I have a chlorine lock.

When you say more. How much? Bottle says good for 20000 gallons with metal test indicating above 3ppm. Again as i have stated metal test show NO metals in my water. How long does it last? What is the retreat schedule. Bottle says 3oz/10000 gal a week. I have been doing 2 to 3 times that. Bottle also says to not add more than recommended.

What I really want to know is if the pump shaft could be introducing the metals. And if I should consider draining some water

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.