Initial results with TF-100 Kit - and weird TA results

Jun 4, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Ok guys - and gals. Got my TF-100 kit today. The kit I've been using was from Leslies, and used Taylor chemicals, but was just a DPD test, so I couldn't measure Chlorine above 5.

Anyway, here are the results:

FC 12.5
CC 1.0
TA 270 with TF-100, or 140 with Leslie's DPD test kit!
CYA 60
CH 170
Ph 7.2

The thing that confuses me is the TA reading. The Leslies in-store test, and my other kit with the same Taylor R-006, R-007 and R-008 chemicals, read 140 for the TA. Same type of 25ml vial, same chemicals. I've been testing TA for 16 years. Dropwise until it changes from green to red.

Why would the new TF-100 kit take 27 drops, versus 14 for the other kit? Reagents appear to be the same. I've had the other kit since late last year, but its been stored in the house, in a dark place.

Anyway, the other confusing thing is that the pool store measured a CYA of 60. Based on that, I did a 1/3 water change several days ago, and today, I ran the CYA test with the TF-100 kit, and still read 60? I think there could be some margin for error, but I couldn't see the black dot through the cloudy water, at waist level, and I ran the test twice.

For now, based on a CYA of 60, rather than the 34 I thought I was at (based on the prior pool store reading with a 1/3 water change), I've boosted my shock level to 16. Water has been clearing, even with a level of 12 that I was keeping it at. I can see the bottom of the deep end for the first time in a week. Water is somewhat cloudy still, but its on its way.

Any advice is appreciated.

Static charge in the TA reagent ... common problem with a new test kit:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206395

Were the drops normal and large hanging off the tip or smaller drops that seemed to jump out really fast?

EDIT forgot your other question:
Pool store testing of CYA is notoriously horrendous ... do not believe it.
Trust your own testing ... for CYA make sure your lighting is correct and the dot is completely gone.

jblizzle said:
Static charge in the TA reagent ... common problem with a new test kit:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206395

Were the drops normal and large hanging off the tip or smaller drops that seemed to jump out really fast?

Normal sized drops, hanging off the tip. No different than the Taylor chemicals I've tested TA with for years now. It is almost like the R-0008 or whatever the 3rd chemical is, is 1/2 strength, and each drop is worth 5 rather than 10 units of T/A. I.e. my 27 drops would be 135, versus the 14 drops for 140 that I get with the other set of Taylor chemicals.

Odd. I know mine I struggled to keep the TA reagent from practically squirting out of the bottle. Although I did not see that big of a difference between my old kit and new kit ... only about 20-30ppm as a result of the smaller drops.

Well, I will give it a couple more shots, and then maybe contact the "East Coast" place I bought the kit from. I'm pretty sure the TA is not 270! It started at almost 0 with a very low pH this year, and I added about 40 pounds of baking soda when I started up this spring. The test strips I have, plus the DPD test kit, and the pool store, are pretty much all in agreement on TA.

Regardless, are there any concerns on the CYA level of 60, or the CH level of 170? Everything else seems to be in acceptable ranges, and I will keep the shock at 16 until I read a CC level of 0.

CH does not matter much for vinyl pools unless you are very high ... you are not.
CYA of 60ppm is a little high, but certainly manageable, it will come down some due to backwashing and splash out.

You should pass all 3 criteria before stopping the shock process.

Your pool is manageable with the CYA at 60, the test is +-15.

The CH level is fine for a vinyl pool.

Continue the shock process and resolve the TA issue after you have finished with everything else.

Jason beat me to it, I have basically the same advice. Just another voice to confirm what is needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.