Blisters on steps

Sep 6, 2007
Mobile Alabama
First I have vinyl steps...well I guess...They are white.lol Last fall I noticed a couple bumps on the wall of the step. This year I just found they are everywhere. From the size of a m&m to a nickel. Some have cracked open so I have nodoubt they are leaking. Is this a defect or something I did? lol Thanks

Stanton, you have the molded fiberglass steps, the same kind we install on almost every pool we build. Your problem is not unique -I've seen it quite a few times. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix it nor why it happens, though I suspect it's a chemistry issue. There are companies that can resurface the stairs - I don't know any by name, but do know that they are out there. The blisters are only in the top-coat of the stair and will not cause a leak - they just aren't aesthetically pleasing and at some point may burst causing the possibility of splinters in some unsuspecting swimmer's foot or elsewhere :(

I wish I could be more insightful, but honestly lack the experience with this to provide a definite solution :oops:

I suggest you not worry too much about it at the moment, try to find one of the resurfacing companies I spoke of - if I stumble across one of them - I'll give you their address

I think it is called delimitation of the fiberglass on the steps. This happens when the gelcoat is not good, the water gets behind the gelcoat causing bubbles, which crack open. It is not good, cause then it can damage the fiberglass under the gel coat. The gelcoat can be redone. You should contact the pool company and explain what happened. I don't know if they will do anything, but it is worth a try. They may be able to give you the name of someone who can fix the steps.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll give my installers a call. Doubt anything will come out of it since they already have giving me the run around around on a crappy coping job and concrete work in the past. It's worth a shot. Thanks again.

I would appreciate any info on resurfacing the steps if anybody runs across it.

Thanks again.

I had two or three of those on my steps, I drained the water down and sanded them off and repaired with some white gelcoat I got from the local boat dealer. That was probably 3 years ago and it has held up fine, but I have noticed a couple of new smaller ones that I may do the same with some day.

I had two or three of those on my steps, I drained the water down and sanded them off and repaired with some white gelcoat I got from the local boat dealer. That was probably 3 years ago and it has held up fine, but I have noticed a couple of new smaller ones that I may do the same with some day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.